Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Alessandro Bottoni <al...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/25 09:17:24 UTC

Docu/Examples of Models and Generics in Wicket 1.4?

Hi All,
I'm new to Wicket and I'm studying it using "Wicket in Action". As you
surely know, this book is based on Wicket 1.3, that does NOT use
generics, while the current version is 1.4 and DOES use them (as will do
the next ones).

Put aside this page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migrating-to-wicket-14.html#MigratingtoWicket1.4-Modelchanges

I was unable to find any other documentation and/or example  regarding
the use of Java Generics with Wicket 1.4. (Actually, there is also this
historically-interesting report of the discussion about generics:
https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/generics.html).

Does anybody know of any other documentation or example I can/should use
as a reference while studying this part of Wicket 1.4?

Thanks in advance.

--

Alessandro Bottoni
Website: http://www.alessandrobottoni.it/

"All is mystery; but he is a slave who will not struggle to penetrate
the dark veil."
     -- Benjamin Disraeli

Re: Docu/Examples of Models and Generics in Wicket 1.4?

Posted by Thomas Kappler <th...@isb-sib.ch>.
On 06/25/10 09:17, Alessandro Bottoni wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm new to Wicket and I'm studying it using "Wicket in Action". As you
> surely know, this book is based on Wicket 1.3, that does NOT use
> generics, while the current version is 1.4 and DOES use them (as will do
> the next ones).
>
> Put aside this page:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migrating-to-wicket-14.html#MigratingtoWicket1.4-Modelchanges
>
> I was unable to find any other documentation and/or example  regarding
> the use of Java Generics with Wicket 1.4. (Actually, there is also this
> historically-interesting report of the discussion about generics:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/generics.html).

Why do you see the need for documentation specific to generics in
Wicket? Once you understand Java generics, their usage in Wicket is
straightforward. Consult the Javadocs, and even that is often
unnecessary---for an IModel<T>, T must be the type of the model object,
for instance.

Please ask some more specific questions if you have any.

Cheers,
Thomas

   Thomas Kappler                        thomas.kappler@isb-sib.ch
   Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics         Tel: +41 22 379 51 89
   CMU, rue Michel Servet 1
   1211 Geneve 4
   Switzerland                              http://www.uniprot.org