Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/10/31 20:52:22 UTC

starting to try release of uimaj sdk

The first step is to release to the staging repo the build tools.  I won't call
for a vote, though until I have also a successfully built uimaj candidate :-).

If you see a bunch of release commits for the build tooling etc., that's what's
going on.  If things need changing, I'll probably roll-back the release and try
again...

-Marshall

Re: starting to try release of uimaj sdk

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
After more thought and a bit of discussion on release-discuss, I'm going with a
much simpler process, but one which requires that the release manager take an
extra step after the vote passes.

The process will work like this:

Assemblies will be "attached" - so that they will be signed by the gpg plugin,
and have checksums added when they are uploaded to the Nexus staging repository,
during a release:perform.

For testing purposes, developers will find the assemblies in the Nexus staging
repo, under the xxx-distr projects, as attached artifacts, and can download them
from there for testing.  I think this use of Apache infrastructure resources is
OK, since the alternative, if we didn't upload them to the Nexus staging repo,
would have been to upload them to some other shared Apache infrastructure spot
(previously, we've used people.a.o/~user/... ).  So we're not taking up any more
room.

Once the release passes the vote, before pushing the "release" button on Nexus,
the release manager needs to
1) copy the assemblies from there to the Apache mirrored distribution spot.
2) delete the assemblies from the staging repo, so they won't go up to Maven
Central.

(Step 2 would be new).

I got a response on the release-discuss mailing list, saying another project is
using this method (although they occasionally forget to delete the assemblies...).

This process requires no special Maven configuration - so it must be a Maven
best practice :-)  .

-Marshall Schor

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi Tommaso,

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marshall,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marshall, I your process proposal is good.
Tommaso

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.