Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Christian2 <ch...@igd.fraunhofer.de> on 2016/04/05 12:07:39 UTC

Communication between two Karaf containers

Hello!

I'd like to know, if it is possible to "communicate" between two seperate
Karaf containers. One container would start openHAB and another one
universAAL. I know, that this does not sound like a good solution, but I
already had several problems getting both together.

So what I have in mind is that one Karaf container runs openHAB with a small
bundle, that communicates with another small bundle in a Karaf container,
that runs universAAL. Is this possible and how?

One possibility could be using openHABs REST-API, but that is not, what I
like.

Re: Communication between two Karaf containers

Posted by Scott Lewis <sl...@composent.com>.
On 4/5/2016 3:51 AM, Timothy Ward wrote:
> One thing to add is that Aries RSA is only one of a variety of OSGi
> Remote Services Admin implementations.

Here's [1] a link to a list of spec implementations.

> There are multiple Open Source and commercial implementations
> available, and the entire specification is pluggable, so it’s possible
> to use discovery from one implementation with the distribution and/or
> topology management from another implementation.

In addition to Tim's notion of pluggability above, ECF [2] also supports
open and pluggable distribution providers [3][4].   Among other things,
this means that you can use/replace/create distribution providers as
needed to meet your specific requirements (e.g. performance, bandwidth,
security, interoperability, etc), even after the service is implemented
and deployed.

As well, ECF is having its 3.13.1 release this week.

Scott

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSGi_Specification_Implementations
[2]
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project#OSGi_Remote_Services
[3] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Distribution_Providers
[4]
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tutorial:_Creating_Custom_Distribution_Providers

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Fully agree. Also the contact between your own code and any Remote
Services Admin impl is really small.
So you can easily switch.

Christian

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@paremus.com>.

Posted by Christian2 <ch...@igd.fraunhofer.de>.
Thank you for your recommendation. I'll take a look into it.

- Christian

Re: Communication between two Karaf containers

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
You can try with Aries RSA.
http://aries.apache.org/modules/rsa.html

It allows to communicate remotely using OSGi services. The Aries code
provides a light weight TCP provider. Alternatively you can use the
provider from CXF-DOSGi which supports SOAP and REST
but it sounded like you are looking for a light weight solution.

The nice thing about Aries RSA is that it only is about 800kb including
the optional zookeeper. So it should be really easy to install it in
both containers.
The release 1.8.0 just went public.

Christian

On 05.04.2016 12:07, Christian2 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'd like to know, if it is possible to "communicate" between two seperate
> Karaf containers. One container would start openHAB and another one
> universAAL. I know, that this does not sound like a good solution, but I
> already had several problems getting both together.
>
> So what I have in mind is that one Karaf container runs openHAB with a small
> bundle, that communicates with another small bundle in a Karaf container,
> that runs universAAL. Is this possible and how?
>
> One possibility could be using openHABs REST-API, but that is not, what I
> like.

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Communication between two Karaf containers

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

you also have Cellar with DOSGi.

Regards
JB

On 04/05/2016 12:07 PM, Christian2 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'd like to know, if it is possible to "communicate" between two seperate
> Karaf containers. One container would start openHAB and another one
> universAAL. I know, that this does not sound like a good solution, but I
> already had several problems getting both together.
>
> So what I have in mind is that one Karaf container runs openHAB with a small
> bundle, that communicates with another small bundle in a Karaf container,
> that runs universAAL. Is this possible and how?
>
> One possibility could be using openHABs REST-API, but that is not, what I
> like.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net