Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by ae...@orange.com on 2015/07/29 17:04:54 UTC

problem with write_survey

Hello,

I start a node with the write survey = true

-Dcassandra.write_survey=true

Log:

INFO [main] 2015-07-29 15:29:35,697 StorageService.java (line 853) Startup complete, but write survey mode is active, not becoming an active ring member. Use JMX (StorageService->joinRing()) to finalize ring joining.

but the node allows read:

cqlsh> select * from myTable  where id = 1745;

id   | fname | lname
------+-------+-------
1745 |  john | smith

(Key 1745 exists on node with the the write survey = true)
Then, when attempting a transition a node from write survey to normal mode, the "nodetool join" invocation fails as the node is already "joined".

Do you have any idea ?

Cassandra Version: 2.0.10

Thank you.

Re: problem with write_survey

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 11:57 PM, <ae...@orange.com> wrote:

> Do you see this log message?
>

> logger.info("Startup complete, but write survey mode is active, not
> becoming an active ring member. Use JMX (StorageService->joinRing()) to
> finalize ring joining.");
>

> ð  Yes !

If that's the case, I would upgrade to the most recent 2.0.x release, see
if you can reproduce the behavior on that version. If you can, file a JIRA
(and respond to the thread to close the loop so we know what JIRA it is!)...

=Rob

RE: problem with write_survey

Posted by ae...@orange.com.
Do you see this log message?

logger.info<http://logger.info>("Startup complete, but write survey mode is active, not becoming an active ring member. Use JMX (StorageService->joinRing()) to finalize ring joining.");

ð  Yes !

cqlsh> select * from myTable  where id = 1745;

id   | fname | lname
------+-------+-------
1745 |  john | smith

This is unexpected. Does the node show up in eg nodetool ring? If so, you are probably failing to properly use write_survey.

Do you see this log message?

logger.info<http://logger.info>("Startup complete, but write survey mode is active, not becoming an active ring member. Use JMX (StorageService->joinRing()) to finalize ring joining.");

(Key 1745 exists on node with the the write survey = true)
Then, when attempting a transition a node from write survey to normal mode, the "nodetool join" invocation fails as the node is already "joined".

Do you have any idea ?

Cassandra Version: 2.0.10

Is fixed in most recent 2.0.x, 2.0.17.

=Rob