Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kelly Taylor <wi...@hotmail.com> on 2010/01/21 19:00:03 UTC

Beyond Basic Faceted Search (SOLR-236|SOLR-64|SOLR-792)

I'm currently using the latest SOLR-236 patch (12/24/2009) and
field-collapsing seems to be giving me the desired results, but I'm
wondering if I should focus more on a tree view of my catalog data instead,
as described in "Beyond Basic Faceted Search"

Is it possible that either or both of the patches for SOLR-792 or SOLR-64
provide something like this? Below is a link to the paper, followed by an
excerpt under the "CORRELATED FACETS" section.

http://nadav.harel.org.il/papers/p33-ben-yitzhak.pdf

Excerpt:
"...model each product as a tree, in which the leaves represent specific
instantiations, and where the attributes corresponding to each leaf are the
union of attributes on the unique path from the root of the tree to the
leaf. In other words, each node of the tree shares its attributes (text and
associated metadata) with all its descendants. When we factor out common
attributes of leaf nodes to intermediate nodes, this representation avoids
significant duplication of text and metadata that are common to many
variations of each product."

-Kelly

Re: Beyond Basic Faceted Search (SOLR-236|SOLR-64|SOLR-792)

Posted by David MARTIN <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kelly,

Did you succeed in using these patches? It seems I've got the same need as
you : be able to collapse all products variations (SKU) under a single line
(the product).

As I'm beginning today with the field collapse patch, I'm still looking for
the best solution for this need.

Maybe someone here can give some tips to solve this - I suppose - common
need ?

David