Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vasudev Ram <vr...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/22 17:16:55 UTC

Subversion installation help required - for accessing SVN via clients from Windows/TortoiseSVN to Linux SVN server

Hi,

Installed TortoiseSVN 1.3.5. (TSVN)
Had earlier configured svn (1.2.3) on a Linux (CentOS) VPS server using the
svnserve approach.
Created a repository, could import, check out, commit, etc. from linux using
svn command-line client.

But from TSVN, it does not work.
Gave the URL like this: svn://host.name.com/home/username/dev/app1
It waits for a while and then says the server forcibly broke the connection.

I have the SVN book and will be looking in it for any solutions, but
meanwhile, appreciate any help or pointers.

Thanks
Vasudev

Re: Subversion installation help required - for accessing SVN via clients from Windows/TortoiseSVN to Linux SVN server

Posted by Vasudev Ram <va...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the replies. Some answers and more questions:

>Is there a firewall running on the system that may be blocking external
access to the SVN port?

Not sure yet. Will be checking that out on both the Windows side and the
Linux server side.

> Can you issue svn commands from a windows command prompt (after installing
the windows SVN package)?

Downloaded the windows SVN package. Tried the svn command-line client.
It gives the same errors as the TortoiseSVN client:

C:\Program Files\Subversion1.3.2\bin>svn list
svn://dev.foo.com/home/foo_dev/foo/development/app01
svn: Can't read from connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed
by the remote host.

Before trying the above (SVN access from Windows to the SVN repository  on
the Linux server via TSVN and command-line commands), I had run the command
"svnserve -d" on the Linux VPS server (as root), and done a "ps -f | grep -i
svnserve" which showed the svnserve process running.

> And of course you'll have to make sure all windows users have the correct
setting of svn:mime-type in their config file, or you'll start seeing some
really weird results.
My Windows Subversion package is installed in C:\Program
Files\Subversion1.3.2\.  Is the comfig file you mention on the Windows side
or the Linux side? I could not see any config files in the above directory.
Do they have to be manually created?

Thanks
Vasudev

On 8/22/06, Tjernstrom, Staffan <st...@mail.esignal.com> wrote:

>  Is there a firewall running on the system that may be blocking external
> access to the SVN port?
>
> Can you issue svn commands from a windows command prompt (after installing
> the windows SVN package)?
>
> And of course you'll have to make sure all windows users have the correct
> setting of svn:mime-type in their config file, or you'll start seeing some
> really weird results.

Rgds
> ---
> Staffan Tjernstrom
> Sr Programmer - Market Data Systems
> eSignal, a Division of Interactive Data Corporation (NYSE:IDC)
> P:+1 510 723 1723
> C:+1 515 770 5158

Vasudev Ram
Software consulting and training
http://www.dancingbison.com

RE: Subversion installation help required - for accessing SVN via clients from Windows/TortoiseSVN to Linux SVN server

Posted by "T. Wassermann" <ma...@tobias-wassermann.de>.
Hi,

you tried only to connect from client, huh?

If you try to access with the svn commandline client and the svn://-URL
from the server - would this be successful?

Regards

Tobias

Posted by Vasudev Ram <vr...@gmail.com>.
No problem.

Posted by Erik Hemdal <er...@comprehensivepower.com>.

Posted by Gavin Lambert <ga...@compacsort.com>.
Quoth Erik Hemdal:

Posted by Erik Hemdal <er...@comprehensivepower.com>.

clients from Windows/TortoiseSVN to Linux SVN server

 . . . .
 But from TSVN, it does not work.
Gave the URL like this: svn://host.name.com/home/username/dev/app1
It waits for a while and then says the server forcibly broke the connection.

Vasudev:

The URL is supposed to be for the location of the repository.

svn://host.name.com/location/of/repo/on/server/

So if your repository is located at /home/username/dev/app1 on server
host.name.com and you are doing an SVN Checkout from the context menu, it
should be OK.

Check that the right ports are open on your server and Windows client
firewalls, and that usernames and access permissions are ok in the
svnserve.conf file.

Erik