Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2012/02/22 15:37:45 UTC

Hadoop Utils

We've collected a fair bit of Hadoop utils over the years.  I am finding them generally useful in other projects.  Would it make sense to either split them out to a standalone jar and/or donate them upstream to Hadoop itself?

I'm thinking the things like:
Seq File iterators and potentially the SeqFileDumper too
AbstractJob and related

My gut preference is that we maintain ownership of them but pub them in a separate JAR.

Thoughts?

-Grant

Re: Hadoop Utils

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:52 AM, Sean Owen wrote:

> I think its fine to let them live in integration here rather than a new
> module. The iterators could be useful upstream yes and maybe a few more
> bits.

> The AbstractJob might still be a little too app specific.

I've been reusing some of it, although I don't much need the default options (other than in/out).  As it is, lately instead of extending AbstractJob, I construct a command line object that uses the CLI processing pieces of AJ and then feed the results in as needed using APIs.  It separates out the command line processing a bit and feels cleaner to me.

I'll see if I can do some refactoring to clean up and show what I mean.

Re: Hadoop Utils

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
But is integration published as a separate jar?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Hadoop Utils

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hadoop Utils

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On 22.02.2012 Jake Mannix wrote:
> Separate jar means separate maven artifact, right?  I think that breaking
> things up a little has a few negatives (requires people to depend on more
> things, often),

Assuming most of our users depend on us in some Maven projects: Couldn't we
provide an additional artificial artefact that simply depends on all submodules
for users to pull in everything-Mahout at once?

Isabel

Re: Hadoop Utils

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Separate jar does mean separate maven artifact but the dependency
> mechanism should handle that and the new artifacts should be very stable.

agreed.

Re: Hadoop Utils

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hadoop Utils