Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Shazron <sh...@apache.org> on 2017/08/02 19:38:41 UTC

[DISCUSS] Moving JIRA issues to Github

Phase 1 of our move to Github is complete, see:

We need a migration plan for moving JIRA issues to Github Issues before we
enable Github Issues on those repos.

Once we figure those out, we can proceed with Phase 2:

I'll start it off by saying that ideally we:
1. Triage issues
2. Automate migration of existing open issues to Github issues
3. "Close off" the JIRA issues

The impact of this is, the original reporters will not get notified of
further updates to the issue except for a link to the new issue on Github
as a JIRA comment (since they will not be subscribed to the Github issue).

We could also migrate every open issue first, then triage later in Github,
as well.

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving JIRA issues to Github

Posted by Filip Maj <ma...@gmail.com>.
> The one I was thinking of was cordova-plugins. Do we want some way to track
> issues for inactive platforms too or should those be considered permanently
> closed?

Possibly. I think we will still have JIRA around w/ deprecated
components, maybe? I'm not sure. Shaz?

> For example a new platform or core plugin is created. I'd assume we could
> create an empty repository, but I'm not sure what the overhead of
> requesting a new repo is. Experimental plugins or research might fall into
> this category as well. I guess the more general question is are there any
> Jira tasks we use that aren't tied to a repo and if so where should track
> them in Github?

To create new repos, we will have to go through Infra anyways.
Experimental code in cordova has gone into branches in the
cordova-labs repo in the past.

> Is there going to be a default repository to hold them before they're
> triaged and organized?

Oh I think I see what you mean now. As in, what do we do with JIRA
issues without an assigned component that does maps to one of the new
GH repos, what do we do with those? That's a good question. Perhaps
that points to us doing a big JIRA issue cleanup before we undergo a
migration. FWIW I did a couple weeks back already and am fairly
confident most relevant issues have an assigned component.

Posted by Connor Pearson <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Filed: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14901

Posted by Connor Pearson <cj...@gmail.com>.
I think the web interface is a good idea. It might help triage as well if
you're able to search and filter issues across the entire project. I think
it might need to have some mechanism for excluding or grouping migrated
issues too.

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
Also, we are trying to formalize the proposal at

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Maj <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.