Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2007/11/04 13:22:26 UTC

[S2] Taglib Exercises Appilcation and ShowCase Expectations

Following up on <https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-771>, and
dealing with Tag QA generally, I wonder if we should have a "taglib
exercises" application that provides a simple visual test suite
against the tags, as we do for Struts 1.

My concern is that it would start to overlap with what we are doing
with the ShowCase. Which begs the question: What are we doing with the
ShowCase?

I'm not sure if it is suppose to be a Demo, a Cookbook, a set of Test
Cases, or all of the above. Right now it is definitely "all of the
above", but is that what we want it to be?

And if it is what we want to it be, do we want to separate it into
different segments to clarify what each case is suppose to be doing?

In any event, I would like to start a new ShowCase instance for 2.1
and port everything over, case-by-case, making sure each case meets
our expectations. But the first question would be: What are our
expectations?

-Ted.

Re: [S2] Taglib Exercises Appilcation and ShowCase Expectations

Posted by Tom Schneider <sc...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure it is practical for a junit test to test all the variations
of the tags.  Just setting up the expected output would be very
tedious.  I like the idea of having a taglib showcase to test all the
tags--I looked at showcase the other day to see if it had this and it
didn't.  Also, being able to switch themes on the fly would be a good
thing.  Even in a taglib showcase, we couldn't possibly test every
single tag variation, however, it would be a nice sanity check above the
level of test case to verify we didn't totally mess something up.
(That's always my fear with the ftl templates)

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
The junit tests actually have a pretty good set of functional, black
box tests for the tags, although there are holes.  Therefore, I don't
think showing every single tag for the purposes of testing is
necessary.

Kudos for taking up showcase cleanup banner.

Don