Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Marcell Ortutay <mo...@23andme.com.INVALID> on 2018/06/28 19:55:03 UTC

How to avoid major compaction during restart?

Hi all,

I'm interested in ways to avoid a major compaction when restarting all the
HBase region servers in a cluster (for example, for a version upgrade). Are
there any recommended techniques for achieving this?

Thanks,
Marcell

Re: How to avoid major compaction during restart?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Would disabling the hbase balancer soon after startup work for you?

Posted by rahul gidwani <ra...@gmail.com>.
There was a issue where hbase regionservers had higher likelihood of major
compacting on startup (if you started up a lot of clusters at once that
hadn't major compacted their files, then the chore would not jitter and
compact everything right away - only if necessary).

Posted by Mingliang LIU <li...@apache.org>.
Marcell,

Posted by Marcell Ortutay <mo...@23andme.com.INVALID>.