Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@ntrnet.net> on 2001/03/10 17:57:13 UTC

No net access right now.

I know I said I would release the alpha's today, but my net access is
spotty at best right now.  Unfortunately, my DSL provider chose this
weekend to go bankrupt, and my new DSL provider hasn't completed the
switch over yet.  :-(

So, I have one computer that can connect to the internet, because when I
have the modem in this box, the wireless doesn't work.  :-(

So, the alpha's may have to wait until late today, or tomorrow, or maybe
even Monday.  If somebody else can re-roll after Bill tags, and modify the
announcement, that is all that needs to be done.  Just let me know if the
release is made.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: No net access right now.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Greg Stein wrote:

> From your log, it would appear that an expat header file was
> found in /usr/include

No.

> but the corresponding library is not in /usr/lib. Either you
> have an inconsistency (partial install)

No.  There is some expat stuff in /usr/local/include, put there
as part of a full PHP4 install.  It is not partial.

> there is a bug in our detection of an already-installed expat

This looks like the prime candidate.

> and/or we need to make our detection of the system expat smarter
> (e.g. don't assume a lib exists just because we saw the
> header, maybe other combos of installations, etc)

Uh huh.

The full buildconf/configure/make log is attached.  (Some
cosmetic wrapping added for readability.)  This was
done on a completely vanilla checkout of HEAD for httpd-2.0,
apr, and apr-util.  (Edited on Windows, so it may have
the DOS format..)
--
#ken    P-)}

ApacheCon 2001!
Four tracks with over 70+ sessions. Free admission to exhibits
and special events - keynote presentations by John 'maddog' Hall
and David Brin. Special thanks to our Platinum Sponsors IBM and
Covalent, Gold Sponsor Thawte, and Silver Sponsor Compaq.  Attend
the only Apache event designed and fully supported by the members of
the ASF. See more information and register at <http://ApacheCon.Com/>!

Re: No net access right now.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 03:20:41PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> FWIW, it is not building for me on Linux (RH 6.2).
> Everything is dynign because libexpat cannot be
> found.  This is after 'make clean' and even after
> a completely vanilla checkout..  Here is the log.
> Am I missing something obvious?  (Wrapping added by
> me for ease of reading..)

>From your log, it would appear that an expat header file was found in
/usr/include, but the corresponding library is not in /usr/lib. Either you
have an inconsistency (partial install), there is a bug in our detection of
an already-installed expat, you *do* have the library but not as
/usr/lib/libexpat.*, and/or we need to make our detection of the system
expat smarter (e.g. don't assume a lib exists just because we saw the
header, maybe other combos of installations, etc)

Could you post the portion of your config trace from apr-util where it shows
the searching for expat? I'm assuming that it will look something like:

  :
checking for chosen DBM type... sdbm (default)
checking for Expat in /usr... yes
  :

> I have not been following this at all, but is not
> two '-pthread' and six '-export-dynamic' a little
> excessive? :-)

Dunno about the two -pthread thingies. Probably because Apache is still
doing some thread checking, in addition to getting thread stuff from
APRVARS.

The -export-dynamic thing is a known problem and is listed in STATUS to be
fixed. Should be an easy fix, but it just needs to be done and tested.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: No net access right now.

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
Is this the 2.0.14 tarball or a fresh tree?  It sounds like a fresh tree,
but I want to be sure.  The 2.0.14 tarball compiles on linux just fine for
me.

Ryan

Re: No net access right now.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: No net access right now.

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> OKay, SpeakEasy is an awesome ISP.

<aol>
Me Too!  I have had absolutely no trouble and always very good
speeds since I got my connection from them a few months ago or so.
</aol>

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://ask.netcetera.dk/   !try; do();

Re: No net access right now.

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
OKay, SpeakEasy is an awesome ISP.  Just after sending this message, I
checked my e-mail, and found my new IP address, and all the rest of the
relevant information, so I am back up and running on DSL.  As soon as Will
re-tags the Windows files, I'll roll the new tarball, and release 2.0.14
as an alpha.

Ryan

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> I know I said I would release the alpha's today, but my net access is
> spotty at best right now.  Unfortunately, my DSL provider chose this
> weekend to go bankrupt, and my new DSL provider hasn't completed the
> switch over yet.  :-(
>
> So, I have one computer that can connect to the internet, because when I
> have the modem in this box, the wireless doesn't work.  :-(
>
> So, the alpha's may have to wait until late today, or tomorrow, or maybe
> even Monday.  If somebody else can re-roll after Bill tags, and modify the
> announcement, that is all that needs to be done.  Just let me know if the
> release is made.
>
> Ryan

> 406 29th St.
> San Francisco, CA 94131