Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by akhil dutt <ak...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/30 12:28:11 UTC

Doubt in solr metrics

Hi everyone,
 What does this "gc.G1-Young-Generation.count" metric give ? number of
times the garbage collector was called till that point of time or number of
objects it holds? And also, does this "SEARCHER.searcher.numDocs" mean the
number of documents the current searcher object is holding ? because I have
a little more than a million documents indexed in my core, and the
SEARCHER.searcher.numDocs"  field is also showing the same number. I am
crawling my files and continuously inserting documents into a core and
while this is running my memory is constantly touching 4 GB. can this be
because of the searcher object? Thanks, in advance.

Re: Doubt in solr metrics

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/30/2020 5:28 AM, akhil dutt wrote:
>   What does this "gc.G1-Young-Generation.count" metric give ? number of
> times the garbage collector was called till that point of time or number of
> objects it holds?

This number comes from Java.  It is the number of times that the
collector has been called.  Specifically, it refers to the collector
that only handles the young generation.  Look up the G1 collector for
more information.

> And also, does this "SEARCHER.searcher.numDocs" mean the
> number of documents the current searcher object is holding ? because I have
> a little more than a million documents indexed in my core, and the
> SEARCHER.searcher.numDocs"  field is also showing the same number. I am

This is the number of documents in the core.  If you search the core for
all documents, the numFound value in the response will match it.  This
information comes from Lucene.

> crawling my files and continuously inserting documents into a core and
> while this is running my memory is constantly touching 4 GB. can this be
> because of the searcher object? Thanks, in advance.

Java will eventually consume all of the memory available to it as
dictated by the heap settings.  When that happens, the garbage collector
will run and free up any memory that it can.  And the cycle will repeat.
  This is how Java works.  It's completely normal.

Thanks,
Shawn