Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Suresh Thalamati <su...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/04 02:15:45 UTC

Re: Schedule for beta and release of 10.1

Now that derby client code is checked in , I am wondering what are the
plans for the next  release ?
I am kind of  done with  coding the fix for  handling out-of order
transaction log writes(derby-96),
have some more testing to do. but I  should be able to complete it by
end of this month.  The reason
I am curious  about the release schedule is  if  the release is  in a
month or so  , I would prefer
to focus on fixing some bugs  instead of  start working on a new  line
item.

Thanks
-suresht

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> However, I do not want to rush out the first version of the client as
> that will suddenly give us a legacy codebase.

Whatever happened to release early, release often?? ;-) ;-)

<snip other discussion about release implications of new client code>

I'd agree that there is a lot of room for discussion surrounding the
new client code and setting proper expectations for maintenance and
compatibility before putting it in an official release. It looks like
we've got a pretty good set of parameters for that going already.

On May 4, 2005, at 3:22 AM, Kathey Marsden wrote:
> * what are our plans for globalization?
>     Right now the client only has English messages.

An excellent question. Looking through the client code, it doesn't
appear that there are message files for the client error messages. I'm
guessing that means that a significant amount of work would be involved
to separate the messages from the code and to use the LocalizedResource
classes that the rest of the Derby code uses for localized error
messages. Perhaps there should be a jira entry for this.

That said, I will be glad to volunteer to be the release manager for
the next release, unless some other committer would prefer to take on
the task. If not, I will start a new thread to discuss expectations and
requirements for a Derby 10.1 release.

andrew

Re: Schedule for beta and release of 10.1

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> However, I do not want to rush out the first version of the client as
> that will suddenly give us a legacy codebase. We have only just seen
> this code and there are a couple of areas that we should consider:
>
> * which JREs will it run on
> * do we need JSR-169 support
> * what are the plans for SSL transport, including client auth
> * what do we do with Referenceable
> * what are our plans for connector support
> * do we have the right properties
> * do we change the commmand line processing for NetworkServer
>
> and probably a few more things as well. We don't need to resolve all
> of these but at least figure out what the plan is.

Other areas of discussion for client
*  what are the differences between cliient and embedded?
.  It would be nice to identify and document differences in the client
behaviour as areas that  may change in the future to match embedded.
(e.g. SQLStates)

*  what is our backward/forward compatibility policy?
    How long should new client versions work with old servers? How long
should new servers work with old clients?

* what are our plans for globalization?
    Right now the client only has English messages.

Kathey

Re: Schedule for beta and release of 10.1

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.
One month seems like a good amount time to figure out some of these, at
least just to formulate a plan. I am eager to see Derby client get
rigorous testing that precedes a full release and to get it to derby
users. I am concerned about potential resource leakage, platform
specific, multi-threading issues that may or may not be present. These
issues are typically found and addressed during a full release process.
I also think current dependence on JCC client driver in 10.0 hinders
wider adaptability of Derby.

You do raise some touch questions. :-)     Like you suggested, we can
work on getting a plan in place for these soon.

Satheesh

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.