Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Doug Leeper <do...@yahoo.com> on 2007/09/17 21:37:24 UTC

Refresh page vs Restart to see HTML changes

I was under the impression that I would be able to change HTML while the
server was running and see it reflected when I refreshed the browser.
Unfortunately, I have to restart the entire server to see the change.  If my
understanding is correct, what could I be doing wrong?

Notes:
- I am starting Jetty 4.2.24 from Eclipse 3.3.
- I checked to see if I have my Wicket Application is running in development
mode and it is.
- I am using wicket 1.3 beta3.
- My html files are located in the same directory as my components.
- I am setting <meta http-equiv="CACHE-CONTROL" content="NO-CACHE" />

Thanks
- Doug

Re: Refresh page vs Restart to see HTML changes

Posted by Doug Leeper <do...@yahoo.com>.
That was it.  I somehow had the wrong jars (1.3.x) mix with 1.4.

Thanks!  Productivity will go no go up!!!

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 9/17/07, Doug Leeper <do...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My files are being compiled/copied to iirc/bin.  Any configuration settings I
> need to adjust to get this to work?

Typically it should work this way. I don't see anything wrong with this setup.

There is the possibility of a wrong SLF4J dependency. Make sure you
have the versions ligned up correctly (there is a nasty version
descrepency in the quickstart archetype). For beta3 you'd need
slf4j-api-1.4 and the corresponding slf4j-impl-1.4 jars (impl can be
log4j for instance).

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta3 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-beta3/

Re: Refresh page vs Restart to see HTML changes

Posted by Doug Leeper <do...@yahoo.com>.
My files are being compiled/copied to iirc/bin.  Any configuration settings I
need to adjust to get this to work?

How did you create your project? Using the quickstart archetype?

I'm not sure where your eclipse compiles your Java sources to. With
normal Eclipse use, that is iirc /bin If you use maven to generate
your project using mvn eclipse:eclipse, then it will be under
/target/classes

In the particular location for your setup, the html should be copied
there as well.

Martijn

Re: Refresh page vs Restart to see HTML changes

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Leeper <do...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Doug Leeper <do...@yahoo.com>.
Nothing is being generated in the console (no errors or warnings).  Are there
other logs I need to view?

And what do you see in the logs? Are there no exceptions?

Re: Refresh page vs Restart to see HTML changes

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> Are you sure the maven eclipse:eclipse doesn't generate the auto
> copying of HTML files for you when you add the src/main/java as a
> resources directory in your pom, such as our quickstart archetype and
> quickstart project does?

Yep, I'm sure. Eclipse copies files by default, but you can configure
it to filter (skip) certain files.

> Each time I create a project from scratch using the normal eclipse
> wizards, I have to add HTML file copying. This is mainly because
> usually html next to Java classes is associated with JavaDoc and that
> typically doesn't have a place in applications.

You should revisit that. To be absolutely sure I just created a test
project with a class and html file, and the html file got copied to
the class path without any explicit configuration.

Eelco

Re: Refresh page vs Restart to see HTML changes

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Leeper <do...@yahoo.com>.
I am running in development mode.  The console shows DEVELOPMENT upon
startup.

Make sure you run in development mode. E.g. pass
-Dwicket.configuration=development or configure in your web.xml file.

Eelco

Re: Refresh page vs Restart to see HTML changes

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.