Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dave Schneider <Da...@Geac.com> on 2004/02/11 15:45:34 UTC

Spammers Point of view

Interesting reading at best.
http://www.e-filtrate.com/salesletter2.html

Re: Spammers Point of view

Posted by Chris Barnes <ch...@tamu.edu>.
Colin A. Bartlett <sp...@colinabartlett.com> wrote:
> I hate spam. But I love marketing to my clients with email. Many of
> my clients do the same and some of them express concern that their
> messages could get filtered. I think this COULD BE used for
> legitimate purposes. Don't you think Amazon or BUY.COM, both of which
> send out a mountain legitimate correspondence look at probabilities
> of their messages being filtered? And also ensure they're not
> erroneously blacklisted?

Most legitimate companies will tell their customers that they need
mofify their whitelist to allow for these non-spam, but spammy looking,
messages.  I know I would much rather whitelist the 3-4 companies I deal
with online rather than muck with the rules which otherwise work very
well.

--�

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes                                 AOL IM: CNBarnes
chris-barnes@tamu.edu                      Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
Computer Systems Manager                         ph: 979-845-7801
Department of Physics                           fax: 979-845-2590
Texas A&M University

Re: Spammers Point of view

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Ralph Seichter wrote:
> "Dan Tappin" <da...@orourke-eng.com> wrote:
>
> > Just a point... can the SA licence not be modified to prevent the
> > use of SA for evaluating way of defeating SA?!?
>
> Do you really expect spammers who ignore other people's rights and
> wishes on a daily basis to care about a software license?

Also, restrictions like that would change spamassassin from being free
software, free as in free speech, to being non-free, as in restricted
or encumbered in some way.  That would be a bad thing.

Please read this reference with specific attention to number six.

  http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

Bob

Re: Spammers Point of view

Posted by Ralph Seichter <ra...@seichter.de>.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Yours sincerely
Dipl. Inform. Ralph Seichter

HORUS-IT
Ahornweg 10
D-57635 Oberirsen
Tel +49 2686 987880
Fax +49 2686 987889
http://horus-it.de/

RE: Spammers Point of view

Posted by "Colin A. Bartlett" <sp...@colinabartlett.com>.
Dave Schneider Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 7:46 AM

> Interesting reading at best.
> http://www.e-filtrate.com/salesletter2.html

I hate spam. But I love marketing to my clients with email. Many of my clients do the same and some of them express concern that their messages could get filtered. I think this COULD BE used for legitimate purposes. Don't you think Amazon or BUY.COM, both of which send out a mountain legitimate correspondence look at probabilities of their messages being filtered? And also ensure they're not erroneously blacklisted?

cheers,
Colin

Colin A. Bartlett
Kinetic Web Solutions
www.kineticweb.biz

RE: Spammers Point of view

Posted by Dan Tappin <da...@orourke-eng.com>.
Just a point... can the SA licence not be modified to prevent the use of SA for evaluating way of defeating SA?!?  I am guessing this breaks the spirit of the whole open source movement.

This guy obviously does not take into account that most SA admin's add there own custom rules and scores and that most of us I assume use bayes (with our own bayes db's) which this guy can't replicate.

Dan