Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Brunner-Williams <br...@nic-naa.net> on 2008/01/21 19:55:24 UTC

[users@httpd] Mass vhost config question

I ran across this in Nick Kew's "The Apache Modules Book".

Footnote on p. 35

8. Mass virtual hosting configurtions usa a single server_rec for all
vhosts, which is why they don't have the flexibility of normal vhosts.

Can anyone expand on this? I use vhosts for a score or so on each of a
couple of machines, but I've never seen what a mass virtual hosting
configuration look like.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Re: [users@httpd] Mass vhost config question

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Jan 21, 2008 1:55 PM, Eric Brunner-Williams <br...@nic-naa.net> wrote:
> I ran across this in Nick Kew's "The Apache Modules Book".
>
> Footnote on p. 35
>
> 8. Mass virtual hosting configurtions usa a single server_rec for all
> vhosts, which is why they don't have the flexibility of normal vhosts.
>
> Can anyone expand on this? I use vhosts for a score or so on each of a
> couple of machines, but I've never seen what a mass virtual hosting
> configuration look like.

See mod_vhost_alias.

What he means, in configuration terms, is that there is no
<VirtualHost> block for each vhost.

Joshua.