Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Hoda, Nadeem [USA]" <ho...@bah.com> on 2008/04/08 09:29:31 UTC

WS Best Practice

I have recently heard that one operation (method/function) per service
(WSDL) is a best practice for SOA/web services.

Can anyone corroborate this?

I can see it being cleaner at the WSDL level, but as you expand your
service offerings it will be a maintenance/client headache with dozens
of WSDLs/services for no apparent reason.

Also, are there good, reliable web service "best practices" guides?

Thanks,

Nadeem

Re: WS Best Practice

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps your senior architect is confusing "operation" with
"interface". WSDL 2.0 limits a service (i.e., the thing described by
the WSDL) to a single interface. An interface can expose multiple
operations, though. The WSDL 2.0 "interface" is equivalent to a WSDL
1.1 "portType". I disagree with the notion that a service should have
only one interface (e.g., a service might offer a functional interface
and a management interface, and I think the two should be separate),
but plenty of other folks believe that it should be one interface per
service. Note: WSDL 2.0 supports interface inheritance, so you can
define separate interfaces and inherit them into a super interface.

Anne

RE: WS Best Practice

Posted by "Hoda, Nadeem [USA]" <ho...@bah.com>.
Thanks Paul.

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

RE: WS Best Practice

Posted by "Hoda, Nadeem [USA]" <ho...@bah.com>.
Thanks Paul.

I agree with you totally, and I just wanted to confirm. I was also
surprised when I heard this from a senior architect.

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: WS Best Practice

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Nadeem

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

AW: WS Best Practice

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
You can drive it even further and not only look at it as a set of operations but real objects (instances of a classes with methods)
This depends on the AXIS2/Java session scope used and it workes for me nicely in SCOPE=SOAPSESSION. If your class is not
static (or sigelton) AXIS2 created me after all the mess I had very nicely one instance per session/thread which can then act as
place-holder-object to invoke i.e. operations on a OpenVMS processes. That way I keep the link from a Users-Session (a user
can have more then one session) all the way allong to a unique legacy process per session which runs i.e. under the users
account on a OpenVMS host.

The other thing is the granularity of parameters. A parameter to such a method can be a quite complex sopa document. in
our case we transfer in one document in the body part 3 collections called workspaces where each workspace is a collection
of field-name / field-value pairs (or tripples, quadrupples) of strings.

As collections are dynamic in length, adding a name/value pair more does not require any regeneration of code. That gives us
very much silence to change,a nd it maps nicely.

(NOTE: AXIS2/C does not support scope=sopasession)

Josef Stadelmann@
axa-winterthur.ch