Posted to dev@kibble.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2021/08/04 18:45:02 UTC

[DISCUSSION] How can we Grow our Community?

Hi All

We have a small community and our mailing list has been fairly quiet over the summer. We need to discuss how we can get more people involved. How can we promote and grow our community? Let's use this discussion thread to come up with some ideas and strategies that we can work on together.

We may also get some interest from people as a result of the ApacheCon Asia talks as I mentioned Kibble and I included  a demo of Kibble-1 as part of the presentation.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [DISCUSSION] How can we Grow our Community?

Posted by Dianjin Wang <dj...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.
Hi Sharan and all,

I would like to share my thoughts on our Kibble community growth. For now,
I think the most important work is to let the target people know Apache
Kibble, then encourage them to use Kibble.

1. Who is the target audience.

Surely, community managers, developer advocates, and marketing operations
on open source projects. They all need Apache Kibble to get the insights.
But for now, we can start from one smaller audience - the Apache projects
PMCs, which are the core circle.

2. What's happening next?

* Writing one blog to introduce the Apache Kibble, describing how Apache
Kibble can help PMCs and other open-source projects to monitor the
project's health. A recorded introduction video also needs. Sharan has lots
of talks or slides on Apache Kibble, so just promote them.

* Email our audience. We can share the blog on the ComDev mailing list, but
we also need to reach out to other ASF projects' PMC to let them know.

* Community Meeting: we can schedule the community meeting monthly or
bi-monthly, quarterly to active existed community members, and attracting
other interested people to join. This meeting can be for developers and
users. We are doing this for the Apache Pulsar community in China and other
regions, it works well.

* Kibble Slack Channel: other than the Kibble mailing list, we can promote
and attract people to join Kibble Slack channel.

* Meetups(virtual/in-person): we can organize virtual meetups focusing on
the Apache Kibble introduction. I guess Sharan has lots of friends in
China, such as KAIYUANSHE, Ted. I would like to organize the Kibble meetups
with them.

The above thoughts are for your reference. I think others could have much
more creative ideas. So feel free to comment.

Best,
Dianjin Wang