Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2020/03/08 08:55:37 UTC

website move

Request made to move from svn+CMS to gitpubsub:

     Andy

Re: website move

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

On 08/03/2020 12:40, Roy Lenferink wrote:

> On 2020/03/08 10:29:17, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> On 08/03/2020 09:40, Roy Lenferink wrote:
>>> Hi Andy,
>>>
>>> Good to be pro-active on this! However, I had yet to send reply to this list that the actual move was
>>> already done :) See [1] for the actual change.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>>> To verify: on jena.a.o the 'Edit this page' button is visible (meaning the site is served from Git), and
>>> this correctly redirects the user to the jena-site repository on GitHub.
>>
>> Yes - "edit" is there.
>>
>> https://jena.apache.org/documentation/javadoc/ was 404.
>>
>> Fixed by change the layout but (for future reference), is it possible to
>> have content in :master:/documentation/javadoc/_index.md and then not
>> have it lost when branch javadoc is gitpubsub'ed.  i.e does the
>> additional javadoc branch simply copy in more HTML pages or replace the
>> directory?
>>
>> If it is copy-in, I'll change the change to preserve bookmarks.
>
> Only a single source of truth is preserved. It is not possible to retain both. I discussed this with infra
> (for MINA) on Slack here: https://the-asf.slack.com/archives/CBX4TSBQ8/p1582565890030900
>
> However something I am investigating and that possibly can be useful for Jena is to have a
> virtual domain 'docs.jena.apache.org' in place which will be served using e.g. a branch called
> 'jena-docs' (instead of javadoc). DNS won't be in place so people cannot visit docs.jena.apache.org.
> Using RewriteRules (.htaccess) the exact location of the documentation can be preserved.
> In that case we can change URLs to let https://jena.apache.org/documentation/javadoc/
> function again.

A simple setup is robust over time so a few changes that keep things
straightforward are good. Having all the special index pages pulled out
of the javadoc tree is actually helpful because you can delete/reset all
the javadoc cleanly.  As an RM, I can say it's one less mistake to make!
You've converted the Elephas one anyway (I'll check for any others).

> https://jena.apache.org/documentation/javadoc/ => content served from asf-site branch (generated
> with Hugo)
> http://jena.apache.org/documentation/javadoc/jena/ => served because a .htaccess (present on the
> asf-site branch) contains a RewriteRule to docs.jena.a.o/documentation/javadoc/jena/
>
> Lucene does the same.
>

>>> Is polling scm (build job) something we want to set-up or are starting with manually triggering the
>>> build-job after changes are made?
>>
>> Personally, I'd prefer to change to polling SCM.
>>
>> We have typically published the site with the release, having used
>> "staging" to view changes. trunk had the role of "proposed".
>>
>> If everyone is happy and setup for Hugo, we can change to master being
>> the ready-to-go real thing.
>
> Personally I'd say to have the polling in place. This ensures the latest changes will always be in
> place. Why would we want to have something on the master branch but not served on the site ? ;)

Ack.

     Andy

Re: website move

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.