Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard Eng <ri...@rogers.com> on 2007/08/07 20:18:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Riddle Me This

Could someone please explain this to me? I¹ve configured Apache2 to perform
reverse proxying on my web application. I¹ve added the following to
httpd.conf:

LoadModule  proxy_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy.so
LoadModule  proxy_http_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_http.so
LoadModule  rewrite_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
RewriteEngine     on
ProxyRequests     off
DocumentRoot      /var/www
ProxyPass  /goodsexnetwork  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork
ProxyPassReverse  /goodsexnetwork
http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork
ProxyPass  /goodsexspace  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexspace
ProxyPassReverse  /goodsexspace  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexspace
RewriteRule  ^/$  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork/$1 [P,L]
</VirtualHost>

But if you visit:
http://www.goodsexnetwork.com/

...you will find that the website is now couched within some kind of frame.
Here¹s the ³View Source² result:

<FRAMESET ROWS="*" TITLE="goodsexnetwork.com"><FRAME NAME="top"
SRC="http://74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork/"
TITLE="goodsexnetwork.com"><NOFRAMES><P>Visit <A
HREF="http://74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork/">http://74.102.141.248/goodsexne
twork/</A></NOFRAMES></FRAMESET>

(Note that I¹ve forwarded www.goodsexnetwork.com to
74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork/.)

This frame is causing me problems. Why has Apache done this (inserted a
frame into the situation)? And is there a way to prevent the use of the
frame?

(The frame causes ³screen flashing² as users navigate from one webpage to
the next.)

Thanks,
Richard

Re: [users@httpd] Riddle Me This

Posted by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk>.
Richard Eng wrote:
> Could someone please explain this to me? I¹ve configured Apache2 to perform
> reverse proxying on my web application. I¹ve added the following to
> httpd.conf:
>
> LoadModule  proxy_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy.so
> LoadModule  proxy_http_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_http.so
> LoadModule  rewrite_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so
>
> NameVirtualHost *
> <VirtualHost *>
> RewriteEngine     on
> ProxyRequests     off
> DocumentRoot      /var/www
> ProxyPass  /goodsexnetwork  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork
> ProxyPassReverse  /goodsexnetwork
> http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork
> ProxyPass  /goodsexspace  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexspace
> ProxyPassReverse  /goodsexspace  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexspace
> RewriteRule  ^/$  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork/$1 [P,L]
> </VirtualHost>
>

> But if you visit:
> http://www.goodsexnetwork.com/
>
> ...you will find that the website is now couched within some kind of frame.
> Here¹s the ³View Source² result:
>
> <FRAMESET ROWS="*" TITLE="goodsexnetwork.com"><FRAME NAME="top"
> SRC="http://74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork/"
> TITLE="goodsexnetwork.com"><NOFRAMES><P>Visit <A
> HREF="http://74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork/">http://74.102.141.248/goodsexne
> twork/</A></NOFRAMES></FRAMESET>
>

> (Note that I¹ve forwarded www.goodsexnetwork.com to
> 74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork/.)
>
> This frame is causing me problems. Why has Apache done this (inserted a
> frame into the situation)? And is there a way to prevent the use of the
> frame?
>
> (The frame causes ³screen flashing² as users navigate from one webpage to
> the next.)

I don't believe this has anything to do with apache? I think what ever you are
using to create your site is creating the frames, to allow it to do some of
the other effects. Seaside seems to be the culprit on my reading of the source.

Also as I understand it, the proxy location has to be a real alternative site
publicly accessible. I get localhost:9090 can not be found when I try to
follow links to your own other pages. privacy/legal works because it's not
being mapped to loaclhost:9090

My own website is on a local machine with a fixed IP address, but until I had
home.lsces.co.uk properly mapped in DNS everybody kept seeing the IP address
much like you are getting. I think that you should be using
www.goodsexnetwork.com/ in the proxy so that apache returns that rather than
the ip address.

I stand to be corrected as I'm still learning myself ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Riddle Me This

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
Richard Eng wrote:
> Could someone please explain this to me? I¹ve configured Apache2 to perform
> reverse proxying on my web application. I¹ve added the following to
> httpd.conf:

Just on the off chance this is not a spam/junk mail attempt I will try
and help you.

> LoadModule  proxy_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy.so
> LoadModule  proxy_http_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_http.so
> LoadModule  rewrite_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so
>
> NameVirtualHost *
> <VirtualHost *>
> RewriteEngine     on
> ProxyRequests     off
> DocumentRoot      /var/www
> ProxyPass  /goodsexnetwork  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork
> ProxyPassReverse  /goodsexnetwork
> http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork
> ProxyPass  /goodsexspace  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexspace
> ProxyPassReverse  /goodsexspace  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexspace
> RewriteRule  ^/$  http://localhost:9090/seaside/goodsexnetwork/$1 [P,L]
> </VirtualHost>
>

> But if you visit:
> http://www.goodsexnetwork.com/
>
> ...you will find that the website is now couched within some kind of frame.
> Here¹s the ³View Source² result:
>
> <FRAMESET ROWS="*" TITLE="goodsexnetwork.com"><FRAME NAME="top"
> SRC="http://74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork/"
> TITLE="goodsexnetwork.com"><NOFRAMES><P>Visit <A
> HREF="http://74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork/">http://74.102.141.248/goodsexne
> twork/</A></NOFRAMES></FRAMESET>

[SNIP]
)

> This frame is causing me problems. Why has Apache done this (inserted a
> frame into the situation)? And is there a way to prevent the use of the
> frame?

 From what you have posted above Apache should will not be doing that to
you pages.  You have mod_proxy_html loaded. Are you using it elsewhere
on your server? As the config snippet above certainly isn't.

 > (Note that I¹ve forwarded www.goodsexnetwork.com to
 > 74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork/.)

You also say you have forwarded the site to
74.102.141.248/goodsexnetwork. How have you done that?