Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/08 18:18:17 UTC

server/util_expr_(parse|scan) generated sources files

Hi,

commit r1642154 modified server/util_expr_parse.y, hence
server/util_expr_parse.c and server/util_expr_parse.h are re-generated
by bison during make.
However these .[ch] are also committed in the svn repository...

There is also the same issue with server/util_expr_scan.l wrt
server/util_expr_scan.c (generated by flex), should the former be
modified.

How are we supposed to handle these files upon change of the
bison/flex sources, commit the newly generated files (using the same
bison and flex tools which are not required by the build system
currently), or should we remove the generated files from the svn and
sowehow require any lex/yacc parser at configure time?

Regards,
Yann.

RE: server/util_expr_(parse|scan) generated sources files

Posted by Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group <ru...@vodafone.com>.
+1

Regards

Rüdiger

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregg Smith <gl...@gknw.net>.
Hi All,

This get's me remembering why we have the generated files in SVN. Not
all OSs have the ability to generate these files, specifically Windows
at the time the expression parser was moved from mod_ssl into core, the
then available version was not new enough. GNU tools are no friend to
Windows :-)

I notice that util_expr_scan.l has been modified and 2.5.35 version of
flex is noted in the commit log. I would like to regenerate the .c but
the best I can do is 2.5.4a (last available version for Win32) which
works but is obviously no where near the current.

Maybe we should comment in the files, you change it, you regenerate the .c?

Regards,

Gregg

Posted by Jan Kaluža <jk...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Reverted in r1643901.
>>
>> Someone with a bison version above 2.7.12-4996 should do this (mine is 2.5).
>
> Every system I try, it leaps from 2.4 to 3.0. Maybe best to just make
> the jump forward now?

FYI, just tried on an other system with bison-3.0.2 and flex-2.5.39
(they seem to work together on newer systems...).

The diff on generated C files (attached) is even bigger, and these
warnings threw during build :

[...]
flex -Pap_expr_yy -o
/home/yle/src/ap/svn/httpd/trunk/server/util_expr_scan.c
/home/yle/src/ap/svn/httpd/trunk/server/util_expr_scan.l
server/util_expr_scan.l|413| warning, -s option given but default rule
can be matched
[...]
server/util_expr_scan.c|2350 col 13| warning: 'yy_fatal_error' defined
but not used [-Wunused-function]
  static void yy_fatal_error (yyconst char* msg , yyscan_t yyscanner)
              ^

That would probably need more work/review...

Re: server/util_expr_(parse|scan) generated sources files

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
Reverted in r1643901.

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.