Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by "Smiley, David W." <ds...@mitre.org> on 2013/01/24 17:19:25 UTC

Proposal to move/hide the general@lucene list

The general@lucene.apache.org list is often misused for help on Lucene or Solr that belong on their respective lists.

I'm okay with the list being discontinued.  If people are not okay with that, then I propose modifying the page where people currently discover the list so that they aren't likely to use it instead of the proper list.
http://lucene.apache.org/core/discussion.html#general-discussion-generallucene<http://lucene.apache.org/core/discussion.html>
Perhaps a simply adding the text "NOT for users seeking help with Lucene" message in red.  I can see how users, in a hurry, can look at the existing description (without having red the java-user list prior) and think that the general list is the right place.

~ David

Re: Proposal to move/hide the general@lucene list

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
+1 for getting rid of it.  Doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

Otis
--
Solr & ElasticSearch Support
http://sematext.com/