Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com> on 2016/07/20 00:55:31 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-70: Revise Partition Assignment Semantics on New Consumer's Subscription Change

Hi all,

We have started a new KIP under
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-70%3A+Revise+Partition+Assignment+Semantics+on+New+Consumer%27s+Subscription+Change

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Regards,
Vahid Hashemian

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-70: Revise Partition Assignment Semantics on New Consumer's Subscription Change

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Sounds good Vahid, thanks for doing this. :)

Ismael

From:   Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   07/22/2016 01:44 AM
Subject:        Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-70: Revise Partition Assignment

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
This is a nice KIP write-up. LGTM too.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang

Posted by Dana Powers <da...@gmail.com>.

From:   Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   07/22/2016 01:44 AM

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com>.
Thanks Jason / Ewen for your feedback.

I agree that this is more like a bug than anything else and should have
little impact on the users.

Regards,
--Vahid

From:   Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   07/21/2016 10:59 PM
Semantics on New Consumer's Subscription Change

Agreed w/ Jason re: compatibility. It seems like such an edge case to
actually rely on this and I'd consider the current behavior essentially a
bug given how surprising it is. While normally a stickler for
compatibility, I think this is a case where its fine to make the change.

-Ewen

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>
wrote:

> Hey Vahid,
>
> Thanks for writing this up. This seems like a nice improvement over the
> existing somewhat surprising behavior. Currently if you have a consumer
> which changes subscriptions, then you will need to handle separately any
> cleanup for assigned partitions for topics which are no longer
subscribed.
> With this change, the user can handle this exclusively in the
> onPartitionsRevoked() callback which seems less error prone. This also
> makes it unnecessary for us to do any special handling when autocommit
is
> enabled since all partitions will still be assigned when we do the final
> offset commit prior to rebalancing. The main question mark in my mind is
> compatibility, but it seems unlikely that anyone depends on the current
> behavior. My hunch is that users probably expect it already works this
way,
> so from that perspective, it's almost more of a bug fix.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Vahid S Hashemian <
> vahidhashemian@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have started a new KIP under

> > Your feedback is much appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vahid Hashemian

Ewen

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Agreed w/ Jason re: compatibility. It seems like such an edge case to
actually rely on this and I'd consider the current behavior essentially a
bug given how surprising it is. While normally a stickler for
compatibility, I think this is a case where its fine to make the change.

-Ewen

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io> wrote:

> Hey Vahid,
>
> Thanks for writing this up. This seems like a nice improvement over the
> existing somewhat surprising behavior. Currently if you have a consumer
> which changes subscriptions, then you will need to handle separately any
> cleanup for assigned partitions for topics which are no longer subscribed.
> With this change, the user can handle this exclusively in the
> onPartitionsRevoked() callback which seems less error prone. This also
> makes it unnecessary for us to do any special handling when autocommit is
> enabled since all partitions will still be assigned when we do the final
> offset commit prior to rebalancing. The main question mark in my mind is
> compatibility, but it seems unlikely that anyone depends on the current
> behavior. My hunch is that users probably expect it already works this way,
> so from that perspective, it's almost more of a bug fix.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Vahid S Hashemian <
> vahidhashemian@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have started a new KIP under

> > Your feedback is much appreciated.