Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Erik Fäßler <er...@uni-jena.de> on 2011/04/19 21:59:27 UTC

Solr 1.4.1: Weird query results

  Hallo there,

my issue qualifies as newbie question I guess, but I'm really a bit
confused. I have an index which has not been created by Solr. Perhaps
that's already the point although I fail to see why this should be an
issue with my problem.

I use the admin interface to check which results particular queries
bring in. My index documents have a field "text" which holds the
document text. This text has only been white space tokenized. So in my
schema, the type for this field is "text_ws". My schema says
"<defaultSearchField>text</defaultSearchField>".

When I now search for, say, 'marine' (without quotes), I don't get any
search results. But when I search '"marine"' (that is, embraced by
double quotes) I get my document hits. Alternatively, I can prepend the
field name: 'text:marine' and will also get my results.

Similar with this phrase query: "marine mussels", where "In marine
mussels of the genus" is a text snippet of a document. The phrase
"marine mussels" won't give any hits. Searching for 'text:"marine
mussels"' will give me the exact document containing this text snippet.

I'm sure this has quite a simple explanation but I'm unable to find it
right now ;-) Perhaps you can help with that.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

     Erik

Re: Solr 1.4.1: Weird query results

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
This is all very strange. I guess I only have a few suggestions:

> It might be worth getting a copy of Luke. Under th "tools" menu
   there's a "checkindex" option that may show you something. You
   can also use Luke to query your index and examine it. That said,
   Luke uses Lucene, not Solr so I rather expect it to show you that
   everything's fine...

> Is there any chance at all you have some older jars mixed in?
   Frankly this is just me resorting to mysticism because that
   doesn't seem very likely to cause appending &debugQuery=on
   to change the search results! I'd expect much worse
   problems.

> As you said, re-indexing should fix things up. But there's no reason
   that I know of that this should be necessary given what you describe.

good luck, because I'm stumped!
Erick

Posted by Erik Fäßler <er...@uni-jena.de>.

Posted by Erik Fäßler <er...@uni-jena.de>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> in. My index documents have a field "text" which holds the document text.
>> This text has only been white space tokenized. So in my schema, the type for
>> this field is "text_ws". My schema says
>> "<defaultSearchField>text</defaultSearchField>".
>>
>> When I now search for, say, 'marine' (without quotes), I don't get any
>> search results. But when I search '"marine"' (that is, embraced by double
>> quotes) I get my document hits. Alternatively, I can prepend the field name:
>> 'text:marine' and will also get my results.
>>
>> Similar with this phrase query: "marine mussels", where "In marine mussels
>> of the genus" is a text snippet of a document. The phrase "marine mussels"
>> won't give any hits. Searching for 'text:"marine mussels"' will give me the
>> exact document containing this text snippet.
>>
>> I'm sure this has quite a simple explanation but I'm unable to find it right

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Solr 1.4.1: Weird query results

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.