Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Yikun Jiang <yi...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/25 03:45:21 UTC

Final recap: SPIP: Support Customized Kubernetes Scheduler

Last month, I synced some progress
<https://lists.apache.org/thread/mwswfwkycj71npwz8gmv1r5nrvpwj77s> on
"Support Customized Kubernetes Scheduler" [1] at 24. Feb. 2022.

Another month has passed, with the cut of the 3.3 release, there are also
some changes on SPIP. I'd like to share in here:

TLDR: below changes are merged in last month before 3.3 branch cut:

1. [Common] SPARK-38383 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-38383>:
Support APP_ID and EXECUTOR_ID placeholder in annotations
This will help Yunikorn set appid annotation.
Thanks @dongjoon-hyun @weiweiyang

2. [Common] SPARK-38561
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-38561>: Add
doc for Customized Kubernetes Schedulers

3. [Volcano] SPARK-38455 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-38455>:
Introduce a new
configuration: spark.kubernetes.scheduler.volcano.podGroupTemplateFile
    to replace original configuration design:
spark.kubernetes.job.[queue|minRes|priority]
Thanks @dongjoon-hyun

4. [Volcano] Add queue/priority/resource reservation(gang) scheduling
integration test:
Queue scheduling: SPARK-38188
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-38188>
Priority scheduling: SPARK-38423
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-38423>
Resource reservation (Gang): SPARK-38187
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-38187>

5. [Volcano] adding doc for volcano scheduler: SPARK-38562
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-38562>:

6. Volcano community are adding Spark + Volcano IT:
https://github.com/volcano-sh/volcano/pull/2113

I also completed a new slide as final recap to help you understand above
and all we done:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1itSii7C4gkLhsTwO9aWHLbqSVgxEJkv1zcowS_8ynJc