Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2013/12/30 13:11:04 UTC

Compilers

Hi,

After updating to the latest Flex SDKs I am experiencing a dramatic increase in compile time when compiling my Skin modules (With the normal swc and swfs there is no noticeable change). While compiling the skin Module (Compilation Entry Point is a CSS file) the compile time jumped up from about 20 Seconds to 5-6 Minutes and it is sort of starting to bug me a little.

Shooting at the compiler with JProfiler shows a lot of collection iterator operations but I couldn't actually pin point a hot spot besides that it's in the Compiler.

Now I know there is this new Compiler (Falcon) ... what it the status of this? From the "Current Status" in Confluence it's not yet finished.

I would like to make Flexmojos support Falcon. Is the API for the old compiler and Falcon the same?

Having a look at the usage on the Wiki it seems to be the same class as the old compiler, so replacing the compiler should be as easy as selecting a different compiler.jar in Maven plugin dependencies.

Chris

AW: Compilers

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Alex,

Hmmm unfortunately I jumped to 4.10 from 4.5.1 so somewhere in between. I could do some tests to find out where this happened.

Well as far as I got things from the Wiki you use the same command line as with the old compiler. In Flexmojos Velo created some stub classes to wrap calls to the old compiler. If the new compiler now implemented the same Interfaces as the old one, there is a small chance I could simple replace the compiler Jar, but I doubt this will be possible.

Think I'll have to checkout Falcon as soon as I have a few spare minutes and experiment on this a little. After all I have "Falcon Maven Support" on my list for quite some time (And we would automatically get IntelliJ support by this, which I also think should be a good thing)

Chris

Can you tell us which SDK version introduces this slowdown?  I don't think it is the compiler code per-se.  I don't see any changes to the modules folder that would explain it.  It could be that the experimental and other new SWCs are being parsed for some reason.

Falcon is still not ready for a 1.0 release, but alpha and beta quality should become available soon.  It is going to get lots of attention as we work on the FlexJS alpha and betas.

What API do you use to talk to MXMLC?  If you compare the MXMLC script in the SDK bin folder with the one in the Falcon's compiler/commandline folder, I think the only difference is that the jar's main() is called with a -Dflexcompiler="$FALCON_HOME"
argument for Falcon.

The other MXMLC options are the same.  There is a flex-tasks.jar so the Ant API is the same.  But there is no Flash Builder incremental compile API for Falcon right now, and I don't know if other APIs not the MXMLC class are the same or not.  The main goal was to make it command line and Ant compatible.

-Alex

Re: Compilers

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Chris,