Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by dave rogers <da...@excira.com> on 2003/10/19 20:13:41 UTC

RE: New CVS? (WebDAV is all but dead?)

Hmmm,

I was under the impression that WebDAV was full steam ahead,
being adoped widely and so on. It was a big part of the "vision" presented
during the afternoon of the "GentTogether". And now I hear "WebDAV is
dead"?.

Anyone care to unpack that statement??? I will be spending the rest of the
day
seeing whats in Slide, am I wasting my time?

I see webdav as allowing best of breed editors to modify documents outside
of the "CMS", and that a CMS may not need to have much (any?) editing
capibility if it is webdav enabled. Also I see it as a way to capture
metatdata and provide "virtual access structues" for a repository (organize
the cds the way u like, when u log in u see your structure, but of the same
cds)

Also, Does any one know where there are any other open WebDAV java server
implementations i shold look at? (besides the tomcat servlet and the Dav4J)?

Cheers,
-Dave

????????
>Robert Simmons wrote:
>My vision is of an architecture that is extensible, powerful, efficient and
>based upon commonly used standards. (Lets face it, WebDAV is all but dead)
?????????

Re: New CVS? (WebDAV is all but dead?)

Posted by Robert Simmons <de...@arcor.de>.
Well this is rather off topic but I don't claim perfection. At any rate the only
time I have heard of webdav as a professional developer is when I encounter
projects like this. I dont hear IT project managers say whings like "WebDAV" is
the future. Nor do I see a flood of conferences on it. Perhaps it is still
theoretical, but when I mean alive or dead, I am referring to the use of a
technology within the wider scope of business applications. It may be that some
day it gains acceptance but at the moment it isnt "where its at." That territory
is currently flooded with things like XML, XSLT and enterprose development.
However, the industry is at a varaible machine and you never know what will
happen.

But at any rate, the viability of WebDAV is -- FAR -- off topic. Therefore, I
will defer to you and resume the discussion of the question at hand.

-- Robert