Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Paul Johnson <pj...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/25 19:00:05 UTC

Connect port

Hello,

I am working on setting up a Kafka Connect JMS Source to pull data from an
external IBM MQ and push to an internal Kafka topic.  We will have a
firewall between the external MQ and the internal Connect so I need to do a
firewall exception.  The network people are asking for the incoming port
for Kafka Connect but I'm not able to find any information.  From what I've
read it seems like it's done over HTTP (so port 80).  I also see port 49333
being used by my local Connect.

Is there a port number for incoming traffic to Connect?

Thank you,

Paul Johnson

Re: Connect port

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <ko...@confluent.io>.
Hi Paul,

A Connect worker will bring up and listen to at least one port that is used
by its REST API. This API is used externally to manage connectors and query
their status, as well as internally between the Connect workers in order
for them to form a cluster and share tasks (Connect workers form a group
and forward required information to the leader of this group through this
port).

You may read more on how to enable and setup the REST API for Connect
workers here:
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#connect_rest

The other port number that you are observing is used by JMX, it's ephemeral
and is meant to be used locally by apps such as JConsole. Read more on the
topic here:

You don't need to open this port to your firewall (it's ephemeral anyways).
If you need remote access to JMX you'll have to open a specific port and
pass it to the JMX_PORT environment variable. The Connect worker will pick
it up from there during startup.

Hope this helps.
Konstantine