Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2015/11/05 01:13:46 UTC

How easy/reliable is a maven repo hosted on webdav?

I need to setup a new maven repo due to some changes we're making in our CI
framework.

Basically, I want something simple.. I was looking at bintray and
artifactory and I think they are overkill for what we need and could be
rather expensive per year.

We already have plenty of hardware so I just want something simple.

We used to use SCP but I don't want to give our CI hosting provider / SAAS
the ability to auth into our cluster.

WebDAV seems ideal because it could just work with plain old apache.

However, I can't find any documentation for how to set this up.

--

We’re hiring if you know of any awesome Java Devops or Linux Operations
Engineers!

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*
blog: http://burtonator.wordpress.com
… or check out my Google+ profile
<https://plus.google.com/102718274791889610666/posts>

Re: How easy/reliable is a maven repo hosted on webdav?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 05 Nov 2015, at 2:13 AM, Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> wrote:

> I need to setup a new maven repo due to some changes we're making in our CI
> framework.
>
> Basically, I want something simple.. I was looking at bintray and
> artifactory and I think they are overkill for what we need and could be
> rather expensive per year.
>
> We already have plenty of hardware so I just want something simple.
>
> We used to use SCP but I don't want to give our CI hosting provider / SAAS
> the ability to auth into our cluster.
>
> WebDAV seems ideal because it could just work with plain old apache.
>
> However, I can't find any documentation for how to set this up.

I’ve used webdav based repos for years, and they work well.

On the server side you just need plain old Apache, secure with username/password or certs (but if you use certs, make sure you use a version of maven that supports them, some of the versions are broken with respect to SSL handling with respect to certs and/or SNI)

In the pom, I have a distributionManagement section that looks like this:

  <distributionManagement>
    <repository>
      <id>repo.example.com</id>
      <name>Example Repository</name>
      <url>dav:https://repo.example.com/dev/maven2</url>
    </repository>
    <site>
      <id>repo.example.com</id>
      <name>${project.name} Website</name>
      <url>dav:https://repo.example.com/dev/docs/${project.artifactId}/${project.version}/</url>
    </site>
  </distributionManagement>

I’ve also used this extension, though not sure if it is still required:

  <build>
    <extensions>
      <extension>
        <groupId>org.apache.maven.wagon</groupId>
        <artifactId>wagon-webdav</artifactId>
        <version>1.0-beta-2</version>
      </extension>
    </extensions>
    …
  </build>

Regards,
Graham
—

Re: How easy/reliable is a maven repo hosted on webdav?

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: How easy/reliable is a maven repo hosted on webdav?

Posted by Ken Hylton <ke...@gmail.com>.
Another +1 on not trying a home-grown solution. I manage an Artifactory
server that services 4000+ developers, and have had exactly one issue in a
year and a half (restarted server/service, 5 min outage). Before that we
ran Nexus, and NEVER had any issues with that.

Thanks,

Ken

*It is through caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. *
*It is by the juice of the Coffee Bean that thoughts acquire speed, the
teeth acquire stains, the dentist acquires profit. *
*It is through caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.*

Posted by Robert Patrick <ro...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
A real repository manager is not overkill but rather the basic foundation
in a Maven-based dev environment. And there are free versions of them:
nexus oss, artifactory and archiva.
I strongly advice against trying to do this with your home-brewed solution!

/Anders (mobile)