Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Christopher Key <cj...@cam.ac.uk> on 2006/04/07 00:45:35 UTC

Performance with high network latency

Hello,

Apologies if this has already been covered.  I'm using tortoisesvn with an
SVN repository via http over the internet.  Whilst the transfer of files
during an update following a switch is perfectly fast, ~50kb/s, the initial
'handshake' that occurs is excruciatingly slow, running at something of the
order of 100 bytes per second and often stalling altogether.

Ethereal shows the traffic as repeated 'PROPFIND' requests, with about a
seconds delay between request and response.  The delay appears to be
somewhere in the connection between me and the server.

It seems to me that it is somewhat suboptimal to be sending out <1kb packets
every second when the link is capable of sustaining ~50kb/s.  Might it be
desirable to adapt the client slightly so that multiple requests can be sent
with each HTTP request.  Even a reasonable network latency, say 50ms, means
that only 20 requests can be handled per second, possibly still as issue for
repositories with large numbers of files

Chris Key