Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jef Sullivan <je...@ikano.com> on 2005/12/13 21:39:00 UTC

RE: Moving a file -- RESOLVED

Here is what I ended up doing. Thanks to "_M_"  concerning the comment about
the path being incorrect. It led me to this working resolution...

// Location of existing file
File dir = new File("C:\\Workspace\\Reports\\");
// Filename
File fXLS = new File(dir, "Report_" + sdf2.format(startTime) + ".xls");
// Path where the file should be moved
File mDir = new File("C:\\Workspace\\Reports\\Archive_XLS\\");

// Move XLS file to new directory
System.out.println("Moving XLS file to Archive location.");
boolean successXLS = fileXLS.renameTo(new File(mDir, fileXLS.getName()));
if (!successXLS) {
	// File was not successfully moved
	System.out.println("WARNING: XLS File was not moved to archive
folder.");
}
else{
	System.out.println("File " + fileXLS + " Has been moved.");
}

The differences between the resolution and what I found in the web are:

1. The fXLS includes the path to the file where the example did not. It just
had the filename.
2. The renameTo() has the location where the file is to be moved as the
first variable. The web example had the location where the file was already
located.

Thanks to everyone for their help and direction.

Jef