Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by Alfonso Nishikawa <al...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/15 17:22:33 UTC

Exception shadowing at HBaseStore#execute() / Query#execute()

Hi!

I am working with HBase and I found that when executing a query, the
exceptions are being shadowed [1].

It seems that the interface at same point changed from throwing IOException
to return null [2].

I have the problem that when the query/connection/mapping fails, I can't
show the user any trace of error, since that information is shadowed.
Is there any big reason to shadow that information? The fact that I have to
control from the client if #execute() returns null or not is not less work
that just throwing or catching the exception -and the plus of knowing the
reason-.

I propose to reintroduce that throw in the interface.
I prefer to ask first before creating an issue, lest be a big reason I
don't see to be shadowing it.

[1] -
https://github.com/apache/gora/blob/master/gora-hbase/src/main/java/org/apache/gora/hbase/store/HBaseStore.java#L480

[2] -