Posted to community@apache.org by David Reid <dr...@apache.org> on 2003/08/27 00:30:19 UTC

[PROPSAL] Support EU Patent Vote Protest

This may well be too late for any form of decision, but I propose that for
the duration of the 27th August 2003 we change the index page of the main
ASF web site to point at a page that states our opposition to the proposal
being voted on and our support for the campaign against it.

The page is currently at http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/apache-protest.html
and simply imposes a 60 second delay on viewing the current ASF index page.
The page contains very simple text that is non-inflammatory wordings and
fits nicely with the ASF website look and feel. The page was written by
Gianugo Rabellino gianugo@apache.org

david

Re: [PROPSAL] Support EU Patent Vote Protest

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
David Reid wrote:

>This may well be too late for any form of decision, but I propose that for
>the duration of the 27th August 2003 we change the index page of the main
>ASF web site to point at a page that states our opposition to the proposal
>being voted on and our support for the campaign against it.

+1

>The page is currently at http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/apache-protest.html
>and simply imposes a 60 second delay on viewing the current ASF index page.

Make it 2 minutes.

Vadim

Re: [PROPSAL] Support EU Patent Vote Protest

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
+1

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 00:30, David Reid wrote:
> This may well be too late for any form of decision, but I propose that for
> the duration of the 27th August 2003 we change the index page of the main
> ASF web site to point at a page that states our opposition to the proposal
> being voted on and our support for the campaign against it.
>
> The page is currently at http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/apache-protest.html
> and simply imposes a 60 second delay on viewing the current ASF index page.
> The page contains very simple text that is non-inflammatory wordings and
> fits nicely with the ASF website look and feel. The page was written by
> Gianugo Rabellino gianugo@apache.org
>
> david

"Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
      -- AOL CD when played backwards  (User Friendly - 200-10-15)

Re: [PROPSAL] Support EU Patent Vote Protest

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Thom May wrote:

>> The page is currently at http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/apache-protest.html
>> and simply imposes a 60 second delay on viewing the current ASF index page.
>> The page contains very simple text that is non-inflammatory wordings and
>> fits nicely with the ASF website look and feel. The page was written by
>> Gianugo Rabellino gianugo@apache.org

+1

is this just for the 27th, or 27th through 1st?  i'm inclined toward
the latter..

some suggestions:

1. sixty seconds isn't long enough for all that text to be read and
   assimilated.  i think the interval should be made longer, and there
   should be some way to reach it in case of 'hey, i wasn't finished!'
   or 'what did that say again?' or 'hey, that was in english, and i don't
   read english so good'.
2. change 'open source' to 'open software'.  on the one hand, defuse any
   potential open-source/free-software issues; for another, make it
   clear to people reading it exactly what this is about.  a lot of people
   use our software without knowing or caring that it's open source, or
   even what that means.  we want to raise their awarenesses, too.
3. it's too late, probably, but multiviewed translated pages would be
   an outstanding feature.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: [PROPSAL] Support EU Patent Vote Protest

Posted by Thom May <th...@apache.org>.
* David Reid (dreid@apache.org) wrote :
> This may well be too late for any form of decision, but I propose that for
> the duration of the 27th August 2003 we change the index page of the main
> ASF web site to point at a page that states our opposition to the proposal
> being voted on and our support for the campaign against it.

Seconded.
> The page is currently at http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/apache-protest.html
> and simply imposes a 60 second delay on viewing the current ASF index page.
> The page contains very simple text that is non-inflammatory wordings and
> fits nicely with the ASF website look and feel. The page was written by
> Gianugo Rabellino gianugo@apache.org

+1
-Thom

Re: [PROPSAL] Support EU Patent Vote Protest

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
David Reid a écrit :

> This may well be too late for any form of decision, but I propose that for
> the duration of the 27th August 2003 we change the index page of the main
> ASF web site to point at a page that states our opposition to the proposal
> being voted on and our support for the campaign against it.
>
> The page is currently at http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/apache-protest.html
> and simply imposes a 60 second delay on viewing the current ASF index page.
> The page contains very simple text that is non-inflammatory wordings and
> fits nicely with the ASF website look and feel. The page was written by
> Gianugo Rabellino gianugo@apache.org

+1, but may be lower timeout to 30s

Re: [PROPSAL] Support EU Patent Vote Protest

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, David Reid wrote:

> This may well be too late for any form of decision, but I propose that for
> the duration of the 27th August 2003 we change the index page of the main
> ASF web site to point at a page that states our opposition to the proposal
> being voted on and our support for the campaign against it.

+1

Andrew.

Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/          Web:    www.luminas.co.uk

Re: [PROPSAL] Support EU Patent Vote Protest

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, David Reid <dr...@apache.org> wrote:

> This may well be too late for any form of decision, but I propose
> that for the duration of the 27th August 2003 we change the index
> page of the main ASF web site to point at a page that states our
> opposition to the proposal being voted on and our support for the
> campaign against it.

+1

Stefan

Re: [PROPSAL] Support EU Patent Vote Protest

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Mercredi, 27 aoû 2003, à 00:30 Europe/Zurich, David Reid a écrit :

> This may well be too late for any form of decision, but I propose that
> for
> the duration of the 27th August 2003 we change the index page of the
> main
> ASF web site to point at a page that states our opposition to the
> proposal
> being voted on and our support for the campaign against it.

+1

> The page is currently at
> http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/apache-protest.html
> and simply imposes a 60 second delay...

Note that users can click through and do not *have* to wait 60 seconds.

-Bertrand

Re: [PROPSAL] Support EU Patent Vote Protest

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@apache.org>.
On 27/08/2003, at 12:30, David Reid wrote:

> This may well be too late for any form of decision, but I propose that
> for
> the duration of the 27th August 2003 we change the index page of the
> main
> ASF web site to point at a page that states our opposition to the
> proposal
> being voted on and our support for the campaign against it.
>
> The page is currently at
> http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/apache-protest.html
> and simply imposes a 60 second delay on viewing the current ASF index
> page.
> The page contains very simple text that is non-inflammatory wordings
> and
> fits nicely with the ASF website look and feel. The page was written by
> Gianugo Rabellino gianugo@apache.org

A big, big +1! Hope it's not too late...

Thanks, David!

Cheers,
Erik