Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by James MacLean <ma...@ednet.ns.ca> on 2004/02/25 03:13:37 UTC

Berkeley DB error while creating environment for filesystem

G'Evenin,

Trying to create a database from both a 1.0.0 source install and RPM's.

Source compiled tried against distribution DB as well as BerkleyDB.4.2 and
Berkley.4.1. Distribution tried was RedHat 9.0 and Fedora Core 1. Kernel
is Linux 2.4.2x. Command was :

svnadmin create somedatabase

results always:

svn: Berkeley DB error while creating environment for filesystem somedatabase:
Function not implemented

I searched the mail-lists and didn't find the solution. Must be something
right under my nose as noone else is having it ;(.

Any help, pointers appreciated :),
JES
--
James B. MacLean        macleajb@ednet.ns.ca
Department of Education

Re: Berkeley DB error while creating environment for filesystem

Posted by James MacLean <ma...@ednet.ns.ca>.
On 25 Feb 2004, Lars Albertsson wrote:

> James MacLean <ma...@ednet.ns.ca> writes:

> > > http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#redhat-db
> > >
> > > -mjg
> >
> > Saw that, tried points one an 5, but they did not make a difference :(.
> >
> > But since this was the direction, I did an ldd on my svn and saw it was
> > using the one from the dist, not the one compiled against under
> > /usr/local/BerkleyDB.4.2. LD_LIBRARY_PATH didn't seem to get by it in this
> > case either. So I will look into it from that end now that I know where to
> > look ;).
>
> I had the same problem, and some googling indicated that a mismatch
> between the kernel and libc could have something to do with it. I use
> a redhat kernel compiled for pentium 4, and after installing a glibc
> rpm for i686 instead of i386, the problem went away.
>
> Regards,
> Lalle

My long story shortened :). Had been try BerkleyDB4.2 which is not
accounted for in <svn>/apr-util/configure, only 4.1. 4.1 was not in
/etc/ld.so.conf, so configure used distribution's db-4.0.

My fix was to add BerkleyDB4.1 to ld.so.conf, do an ldconfig, then re-run
svn's configure, make clean all install, and svnadmin now works :).

Thanks to everyone for the quick and accurate information,
JES

Posted by Lars Albertsson <la...@sics.se>.

Posted by James MacLean <ma...@ednet.ns.ca>.
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Matthew Gregan wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:13:37PM -0400, James MacLean wrote:
> > Source compiled tried against distribution DB as well as BerkleyDB.4.2 and
> > Berkley.4.1. Distribution tried was RedHat 9.0 and Fedora Core 1. Kernel
> > is Linux 2.4.2x. Command was :
>
> > svnadmin create somedatabase
> > svn: Berkeley DB error while creating environment for filesystem somedatabase:
> > Function not implemented
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#redhat-db
>
> -mjg

Saw that, tried points one an 5, but they did not make a difference :(.

But since this was the direction, I did an ldd on my svn and saw it was
using the one from the dist, not the one compiled against under
/usr/local/BerkleyDB.4.2. LD_LIBRARY_PATH didn't seem to get by it in this
case either. So I will look into it from that end now that I know where to
look ;).

Thanks,
JES

Posted by Matthew Gregan <ki...@orcon.net.nz>.