Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/20 05:19:50 UTC

Simplifying the Release feature

It seems like we could simplify the release process to a single step.
Just because it takes two goals in the plugin doesn't mean *we* have
to have two steps. :)  I don't see any value in separating them...
I've never done prepare and (intentionally) not done perform.

Right now it's time consuming because you have to sit there and wait
for the first part to finish so you can do the second part.  (Or
remember to do it later.)

I've seen people automate the release by adding a build definition
that invokes both of the plugin goals, but then the output just shows
up as a regular build rather than on the new "Releases" tab.

If we combined the steps, then you could click, fill out one form, and
walk away from it knowing eventually your release will be done [1],
and the output would show up in the right place.

Thoughts?

[1] it will finish, right?  even if you close your browser?

--
Wendy

Re: Simplifying the Release feature

Posted by Marica Tan <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems like we could simplify the release process to a single step.
> Just because it takes two goals in the plugin doesn't mean *we* have
> to have two steps. :)  I don't see any value in separating them...
> I've never done prepare and (intentionally) not done perform.
>
> Right now it's time consuming because you have to sit there and wait
> for the first part to finish so you can do the second part.  (Or
> remember to do it later.)

+1

> I've seen people automate the release by adding a build definition
> that invokes both of the plugin goals, but then the output just shows
> up as a regular build rather than on the new "Releases" tab.
>
> If we combined the steps, then you could click, fill out one form, and
> walk away from it knowing eventually your release will be done [1],
> and the output would show up in the right place.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> [1] it will finish, right?  even if you close your browser?

Yes.

--
Marica

Re: Simplifying the Release feature

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1

I think the prepare was separate to allow voting on something, but now
that there is a prepare-vote-promote approach instead it doesn't
really need to be separate.

- Brett

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Dehon <od...@gmail.com>.
One might even wonder why there would be a need for 2 full builds to
happen for the release (one for the prepare and one for the perform). In
combining steps, it might even be worth skipping the "prepare" build and
execute the perform one from the tag directly.

My $.02

-Olivier