Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/16 05:52:04 UTC

[Partitions] Use Cases

Hey Guys,

I was thinking about how the DAS could work
without users having to configure new partitions
when wanting to store something like:

ou=Accounts, ou=users, ou=example, ou=com

My first thought was to have the DAS user
add a new partition with

DN: ou=com

But that seems like
a lot of additional effort to ask users
to expend, if they don't want to change the
partition implementation.

So what the DAS do is use a pre-configured
partition, like system.  Then it would
just add the entries ou=com, etc. under system.

Would it make sense to have a "Workspace"
like default partition added.  Maybe called
"default", that does not have any entries and
is backed by the default partition.

Then later once more partition implementations
are added, we could have

"memory",
"custom"
"really-custom"

where these would represent pre-configured
default partitions backed by different
partition implementations.

This way, DAS users can use these, and they get to
skip doing any additional configuration.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
- Ole

Re: [Partitions] Use Cases

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Emmanuel,

Excellent idea.

That way the DAS just check whether the DAS partition
exists, before it starts CRUDing.

Thanks,
- Ole

Re: [Partitions] Use Cases

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
<snip/>

Re: [Partitions] Use Cases

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.

> Ole system is not to be touched by users.

Alex - Thanks - Sorry - I should have excluded system
in the examples I gave of possible default
partitions the server could come with.  I left it
in because I think some (Assuming the people
follow the path of least resistance) might be
tempted to just use that, instead of going through
and configuring the server properly.

If you look a little further down in the original email
you'll see I suggested a "ou=default" as the name
of a partition backed by the server's
default partition, etc.

Then, for example if a memory resident partition implementation
is added, the default for it would be named "ou=memory".
This would be equivalent to Eclipse's default "workspace".

BUT - It seems like you have something way cooler in mind.

HOT partitions!  That presentation rocked by the way.

That will be much cleaner than "ou=default" or "ou=memory".

So now if the DAS needs the parititon "ou=com" and it does
not exist, the DAS just creates it.

I'll start playing right away.

Thanks,
- Ole

Re: [Partitions] Use Cases

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On 4/15/07, Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I was thinking about how the DAS could work
> without users having to configure new partitions
> when wanting to store something like:
>
> ou=Accounts, ou=users, ou=example, ou=com
>
> My first thought was to have the DAS user
> add a new partition with
>
> DN: ou=com
>
> But that seems like
> a lot of additional effort to ask users
> to expend, if they don't want to change the
> partition implementation.
>
> So what the DAS do is use a pre-configured
> partition, like system.  Then it would

Ole system is not to be touched by users.  It is a very special partition.
There is a programmatic way to add a new partition to ApacheDS without
having to deal with the server.xml configuration file.  Just take a look at
this presentation which has information on how to do this programmatically:

http://directory.apache.org/community%26resources/embedding-apacheds.html

just add the entries ou=com, etc. under system.

Not a good idea.

Alex