Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by ao...@wikimedia.org on 2013/08/07 18:33:38 UTC

Re: Kafka/Hadoop consumers and producers

Hi all,

Over at the Wikimedia Foundation, we're trying to figure out the best way to do our ETL from Kafka into Hadoop.  We don't currently use Avro and I'm not sure if we are going to.  I came across this post.

If the plan is to remove the hadoop-consumer from Kafka contrib, do you think we should not consider it as one of our viable options?

Thanks!
-Andrew

Re: Kafka/Hadoop consumers and producers

Posted by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com>.
I am also interested with hadoop+kafka capabilities. I am using kafka 0.7 ,
so my question : What is the best way to consume contect from kafka and
write it to hdfs? At this time I need the only consuming functionality.

thanks
Oleg.

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.
For the last 6 months, we've been using this:

https://github.com/wikimedia-incubator/kafka-hadoop-consumer

In combination with this wrapper script:
https://github.com/wikimedia/kraken/blob/master/bin/kafka-hadoop-consume

It's not great, but it works!

Posted by Felix GV <fe...@mate1inc.com>.

Posted by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Psaltis <ps...@gmail.com>.
Felix,

Posted by Andrew Psaltis <ps...@gmail.com>.
Felix,

Posted by Felix GV <fe...@mate1inc.com>.

Posted by Felix GV <fe...@mate1inc.com>.

Posted by ps...@gmail.com.

Posted by Abhi Basu <90...@gmail.com>.
I agree with you. We are looking for a simple solution for data from Kafka
to Hadoop. I have tried using Camus earlier (Non-Avro) and documentation is
lacking to make it work correctly, as we do not need to introduce another
component to the solution. In the meantime, can the Kafka Hadoop
Consumer/Producer be documented well so we can try it out ASAP. :)  Thanks.

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Andrew. I upgrade it to use the high level consumer.

________________________________
Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.
Andrew,

I'm about to dive into figuring out how to use Camus without Avro.  Perhaps we should join forces?  (Be warned thought! My java fu is low at the moment. :) ).

-Ao

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.
Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Psaltis <An...@Webtrends.com>.
Kam,

Posted by Andrew Psaltis <An...@Webtrends.com>.
Kam,

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.
>  may merge a bit of your work into bigtop-989 if that's ok with you.
Merge away!  Happy to help. :)

> I'll ask on bigtop regarding the .deb requirement - it seems they don't abide by this.

Yeah, there seems to be a constant struggle between the 'java way' of doing things, e.g. Maven downloading the internet, and the 'debian way', e.g. be paranoid about everything, make sure the build process is 100% repeatable.

Bigtop should definitely do whatever Bigtop thinks is best.  This Makefile technique works for us now, but probably will require a lot of manual maintenance as Kafka grows.

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Abhi Basu <90...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ken Goodhope <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ken Goodhope <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Psaltis <ps...@gmail.com>.
Dibyendu,

Posted by Andrew Psaltis <ps...@gmail.com>.
Dibyendu,

Posted by di...@pearson.com.
Hi Ken,

I am also working on making the Camus fit for Non Avro message for our requirement.

I see you mentioned about this patch (https://github.com/linkedin/camus/commit/87917a2aea46da9d21c8f67129f6463af52f7aa8) which supports custom data writer for Camus. But this patch is not pulled into camus-kafka-0.8 branch. Is there any plan for doing the same ?

Regards,
Dibyendu

Posted by Ken <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,