Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2014/09/11 02:12:40 UTC

preparing for new release

Hi,

A release is way way overdue so I am going to try to push for a release
to be created and voted on by the community some time over the next few
days. I am not aware of any issues that truly block release but there
are a few things that could still benefit from additional review and
opinion.

I will be going through the installation documentation and seeing if I
can make some changes (as I think I fairly recently), particularly with
regard to being opinionated on a user to install as and a location to
install to. My problem so far in attempting this has been that I still
desire to streamline the installation documentation to make it easier to
follow.

One of the more interesting changes has been a fix associated with
caching problems which was appearing in particular to changes to
Milestones in a webserver (multi-process or multi-threaded) setup. The
solution in https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/changeset/1611921
simply makes sure that the cache is cleared at the beginning of a
request. It would be good to hear if there have been any unintended
consequences that this has produced.

Cheers,
    Gary

Re: preparing for new release

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/14, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/10/14, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> Hi,

[...]
>> One of the more interesting changes has been a fix associated with
>> caching problems which was appearing in particular to changes to
>> Milestones in a webserver (multi-process or multi-threaded) setup. The
>> solution in https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/changeset/1611921
>> simply makes sure that the cache is cleared at the beginning of a
>> request. It would be good to hear if there have been any unintended
>> consequences that this has produced.

[...]
> I'll make some tests on Ubuntu tomorrow .

AFAICS it's ok . I noticed no problems .

[...]

Olemis - @olemislc

Apache(tm) Bloodhound contributor
http://issues.apache.org/bloodhound
http://blood-hound.net

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: preparing for new release

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 9/10/14, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Gary !

[...]
> One of the more interesting changes has been a fix associated with
> caching problems which was appearing in particular to changes to
> Milestones in a webserver (multi-process or multi-threaded) setup. The
> solution in https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/changeset/1611921
> simply makes sure that the cache is cleared at the beginning of a
> request. It would be good to hear if there have been any unintended
> consequences that this has produced.

I'm not completely sure about all the implications of the solution but
, if it's ok , I guess I can bear with it over the current caching
issue . I'll make some tests on Ubuntu tomorrow .

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 11/09/14 01:12, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A release is way way overdue so I am going to try to push for a release
> to be created and voted on by the community some time over the next few
> days. I am not aware of any issues that truly block release but there
> are a few things that could still benefit from additional review and
> opinion.
>
> I will be going through the installation documentation and seeing if I
> can make some changes (as I think I fairly recently), particularly with
> regard to being opinionated on a user to install as and a location to
> install to. My problem so far in attempting this has been that I still
> desire to streamline the installation documentation to make it easier to
> follow.
>
> One of the more interesting changes has been a fix associated with
> caching problems which was appearing in particular to changes to
> Milestones in a webserver (multi-process or multi-threaded) setup. The
> solution in https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/changeset/1611921
> simply makes sure that the cache is cleared at the beginning of a
> request. It would be good to hear if there have been any unintended
> consequences that this has produced.
>
> Cheers,
>     Gary

You may have noticed that I have made a few changes to
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundInstall and I hope
that these are considered improvements. I'll continue to work on these a
bit more but hopefully there are no concerns. There are still some rough
edges, particularly with the VCS parts which I haven't touched yet, but
if anyone feels they want to test and correct the instructions, I would
be grateful for the input.

Cheers,
   Gary