Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bryan Brannigan <br...@bsideinternet.com> on 2003/05/08 22:26:01 UTC

[users@httpd] apache2/redhat 8/ssl problems

I'm having trouble getting apache 2 and redhat 8 to support SSL.  I'm using
the default redhat "Web Server" setup and everytime I enable SSL for a
virtual domain, apache fails to startup.

Suggestions, comments, questions?

Re: [users@httpd] The 2003 Con???

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Michael Crawford wrote:
> Any word on the 2003 Con?

planned for november (comdex week) in las vegas again.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

[users@httpd] The 2003 Con???

Posted by Michael Crawford <cr...@mun.ca>.
Any word on the 2003 Con?

--
Cheers,
        Michael

Michael Crawford              | Memorial University of
Systems Administrator      | Newfoundland

Re: [users@httpd] Setting up Redirect using Apache

Posted by Mark McCulligh <mm...@visualtech.ca>.
If I change the ServerAlias to example.net, instead of example.com it works
fine. But I way just wondering if I was doing something wrong and
ServerAlias was set to example.com for a reason and need to be set to
example.com. I didn't understand why the line was in the example code, if it
was not really needed.

The problem I was having was without the ServerAlias set to example.net the
user ended up at a different web site, the first in my virtual host list.

Thanks for your help Joshua,
Later,
Mark

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
> NameVirtualHost ?
>
> <VirtualHost ?>
>   ServerName www.example.net
>   ServerAlias example.com    (Why not example.net)
>   Redirect permanent / http://www.example.com/
> </VirtualHost>

This type of redirection will be good for somebody that wants to redirect
users to be forwarded from example.com to it's A host record "WWW".
It's very famous to do such thing for most administrators that having
their companies web sites sitting over a hosting company and the domain
is forwarded to their records.

I didn't understand myself :-), in most cases the IP address for
example.com and the IP address for www.example.com will NOT be the same,
then this Redirection is needed, if a person will type in his
browser "http://example.com" he'll get nowhere right?
therefore, you need to redirect the public to the right host that servs
your website which will be "http://www.exmaple.com" (look at the www
record), this www record, of course would be also specified in the
example.com DNS Zone.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen

Re: [users@httpd] apache2/redhat 8/ssl problems

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
What do you get in /var/log/www/error_log ? This is the Apache error log.

You will need to add also a certificate and a key file, but
you mention you are using name based virtual hosts.
are you familiar with the limitations for SSL with name based virtual
hosts? From the document I pointed you easrlier:

Can I have SSL with name-based virtual hosting?

A question that comes up frequently is how to make
name-based virtual hosts work with SSL. The answer is that you can't, at
least currently. Name-based virtual hosts depend on the Host header of the
HTTP request, but the certificate verification happens when the SSL
connection is being established and no HTTP request can be sent. There is a
protocol for upgrading an existing HTTP connection to TLS, but it is mostly
unsupported by current browsers (see RFC 2817).

Cheers

Daniel

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.