Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by danomano <ds...@earthlink.net> on 2010/10/19 18:04:58 UTC

does solr support posting gzipped content?

Hi folks, I was wondering if there is any native support for posting gzipped
files to solr?

i.e. I'm testing a project where we inject our log files into solr for
indexing, these logs files are gzipped, and I figure it would take less
network bandwith to inject gzipped files directl.  is there a way to do
this? other then implementing my own SerlvetFilter or some such.

thanx

Re: does solr support posting gzipped content?

Posted by danomano <ds...@earthlink.net>.
sorry, yes by inject I simply mean post, I was hoping to get away without
writing any 'native' solr code to upload gzip files, but its sounds like
that is not possible.  (The file's that I'm uploading (aka posting are CSV
formatted).

I will poke around and which solution ServletFilter/DataImportHandler fits
best.  (I like the ServletFilter as its entirely agnostic to the underlying
indexing solution).

Re: does solr support posting gzipped content?

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM, danomano <ds...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi folks, I was wondering if there is any native support for posting gzipped
> files to solr?
>
> i.e. I'm testing a project where we inject our log files into solr for
> indexing, these logs files are gzipped, and I figure it would take less
> network bandwith to inject gzipped files directl.

What do you mean by "inject"? Are you POSTing XML to Solr,
using a DataImportHandler, or what?

>                                                                  is there a way to do
> this? other then implementing my own SerlvetFilter or some such.

As far as I am aware there is no existing way to post gzipped
content to Solr. Integrating this into the DataImportHandler would
probably be the way to go.

Regards,
Gora