Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Brian Devaney <bd...@docfinity.com> on 2011/03/04 00:13:33 UTC

JMeter test duration

I have a number of JMeter tests set to run with different numbers of users.
Once one test finishes, another should start.  I am running into a problem
where the ant task calling the JMeter test gets stuck waiting for the test
to finish.  Is there some setting in ant or in JMeter where I can specify
the absolute time limit for the test to run and have it forcibly shut down
if it hits that limit?  I am using the Duration setting in the main thread
group to control how long the test should run, but I am running into cases
where it gets ignored.

Brian Devaney
DocFinity® by Optical Image Technology, Inc.
100 Oakwood Avenue, State College,  PA  16803
ph: 814.238.0006 ext. 274
fax: 814.238.0011
mailto:bdevaney@DocFinity.com
http://www.docfinity.com/

DISCLAIMER: This email may contain proprietary information, some or all
of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient
only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email,
please notify the author by replying to this email. If you are not the
intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,
or rely on this email.

Re: JMeter test duration

Posted by Sonam Chauhan <so...@gmail.com>.

A few days ago I posted information here on an open source script wrapper around JMeter called testtract ( http://testtract.sourceforge.net ) that runs JMeter and digests it's logs into command line results

 Anyway, it implements a watchdog timer. For example:

# Run test with a 3 minute (180 second) "kill timer"
metatest -t a.jmx -s Dev -k 180

Regards
Sonam

Re: JMeter test duration

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 3 March 2011 23:13, Brian Devaney <bd...@docfinity.com> wrote:
> I have a number of JMeter tests set to run with different numbers of users.
> Once one test finishes, another should start.  I am running into a problem
> where the ant task calling the JMeter test gets stuck waiting for the test
> to finish.  Is there some setting in ant or in JMeter where I can specify
> the absolute time limit for the test to run and have it forcibly shut down
> if it hits that limit?  I am using the Duration setting in the main thread
> group to control how long the test should run, but I am running into cases
> where it gets ignored.

I doubt that it is ignored, however the duration timer performs an
orderly shutdown, which means that a thread only shuts down when it
finishes its current sample.
Check the log for details.

You could try running a concurrent separate thread group with a Test
Action [1] set to Stop Now / All threads
Add a Constant Timer child for the required delay.

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Test_Action

Re: JMeter test duration

Posted by Andrey Pohilko <ap...@apc.kg>.
Try using Stepping Thread Group or Ultimate thread Group - they operate with
time-limited test schedule.