Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk> on 1998/01/28 13:08:45 UTC

Options inheritance

It has been brought to my attention that (in 1.2.5 at least) Options
-Indexes, is not propagated to virtual hosts. Is that expected? (You can
infer from the fact that I'm asking the question that _I_ don't expect
it!).

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: Options inheritance

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Randy Terbush wrote:

> There are some other config parameters that don't get propigated
> as I remember. I'm beginning to thing that perhaps we need
> an explicit directive that would tell the server to inherit or
> not inherit the current config. Or perhaps a 3rd (4th, 5th) parameter
> that would export a setting globally?

I've been toying with the idea of adding yet another slot to the
module structure: a callback to allow the module to return some
sort of configuration status.  Perhaps something like:

 char *req_config(request_req *r);

It would be up to each module to provide such a hook if desired,
and the return value would be free-format text describing the
module's configuration for that request.

This has synchronisation problems (such as when it can be called),
so maybe a better method is a couple of reserved slots in r->notes,
such as "<modulename>_r" and "<modulename>_s".  The server and
directory config/merge routines could set these appropriately.

Once again there's the issue of who could use these and when; maybe
a special content-handler module that looked these up and
displayed the results?

I'm just writing off the top of my head, but I think the second
approach is better - the missing piece is setting the convention of
the keys in the r->notes table for this information.  Retrofitting
the standard modules would be relatively (!) simple; the query
module likewise.

Just winging it.. because I've often wanted to be able to verify
settings with something like "http://host/analyse?/some/location/foo"
and see what the server thinks the overrides and options are for that
location.

#ken	P-)}

Re: Options inheritance

Posted by Randy Terbush <ra...@covalent.net>.

Re: Options inheritance

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Actually no, I always think "merging errors" are "user errors" until I see
the full set of config files and the output of:

find / -name .htaccess | tar -cf htaccess.tar -T -

;)

Dean

Re: Options inheritance

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.