Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/30 12:59:28 UTC

Renaming SolrCloud

Hi,
I think some of us feel that
SolrCloud or "cloud mode" etc. are misnomers. This name sometimes trips up
many adopters.

I propose that we rename SolrCloud mode to "cluster mode" such that
there shall be "Apache Solr", running in either "standalone mode" or
"cluster mode". We can effect this renaming 9.0 onwards, if we have
consensus.

I am open to any other proposal as well, so long as we drop the "cloud" in
the name.
Thoughts, please?
Regards,
Ishan

Re: Renaming SolrCloud

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 3:59 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <
ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I think some of us feel that
> SolrCloud or "cloud mode" etc. are misnomers. This name sometimes trips up
> many adopters.
>
> I propose that we rename SolrCloud mode to "cluster mode" such that
> there shall be "Apache Solr", running in either "standalone mode" or
> "cluster mode". We can effect this renaming 9.0 onwards, if we have
> consensus.

+1 on this proposal !

Re: Renaming SolrCloud

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
+1 to adapting all our docs to make cluster mode the preferred/default and “hide” the standalone use cases more. We could also redefine -c in start script to mean “cluster”?

Instead of getting rid of the SolrCloud term, why not strive for making Solr more “cloud native”, and thus live up to the expectation new users may have? That may mean that we as a project take ownership of our Docker images, help develop a k8s operator, etc.

Jan Høydahl

Re: Renaming SolrCloud

Posted by Malcolm Upayavira Holmes <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Solr can run Zookeeper embedded. Just make the 'standalone' version run a Zookeeper, then you can deprecate the standalone mode entirely.

Also, given that installing ZooKeeper is a pain, and that Solr has the embedded ability to run ZooKeeper, it always seemed a good idea to me to have the option to run ZK from within the Solr codebase, e.g:

 solr zookeeper start --various=options

Would start a Zookeeper instance, and make one less thing to go download.

Upayavira

Re: Renaming SolrCloud

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.
On 20/10/2019 01:32, Noble Paul wrote:
> A standalone mode should be nothing but a SolrCloud setup with an
> embedded ZK and a single node.

From an operations point of view, I disagree. ZK is another process to
monitor, another process which can fail, another process which exposes
various security concerns. Additionally, ZK's Administrator Guide still
insists that its transaction log should be on a separate disk ("A
dedicated partition is not enough"), which is quite frankly a pain in
the arse for smaller setups. I'm not sure whether it's all that
important in standalone mode, but it's certainly something to consider.

 - Bram

Re: Renaming SolrCloud

Posted by Noble Paul <no...@gmail.com>.
A standalone mode should be nothing but a SolrCloud setup with an
embedded ZK and a single node.

If users want to edit config files they can still do it . People edit
config files all the time in SolrCloud today. Directly editing files
on a filesystem cannot be a requirement that keeps as from moving on
to a unified model

Re: Renaming SolrCloud

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Re: Renaming SolrCloud

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately, I think SolrCloud / cluster mode is less easy to use than
standalone mode for the developer experience locally.  The main pain point
is the ease of modifying configuration.  In standalone, I go edit some
configs using a text editor, then hit "reload" on the core.  Presto.  With
the cluster mode I need to also upload the config -- a CLI command but
still awkward.  Something to remember to type, something to forget.  An
alternative path is using Solr config APIs to do the manipulations, but
frankly that's only useful for automation.  It's painful to do this ad-hoc
with looking up the documentation and trial & error, etc.  I wish "managed"
schema was not the default; I've never used in on my Solr projects.

Some ideas:
* Add a config file editor to Solr.  Not sure if our APIs are sufficient
here; don't want to add another security risk.
* Add a config path watcher / uploader script that automatically uploads on
changes to the file system at a path.
* Add a new mode of configSets storage such that each node stores it
locally yet also syncs a single zNode ID to trigger the watches.  This
might use new "file store" / "package store" implementations for the new
plugins management.

These might even avoid the additional collection "reload" step.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Renaming SolrCloud