Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Richard S. Huntrods" <hu...@nucleus.com> on 2001/12/21 18:46:46 UTC

Lessons Learned...

Greetings!

Having just come through a steep learning curve, I thought I'd compress
the lessons learned for the benefit of all:

Problem:
Tomcat 4.0 ran on W2K, but 4.0.1 would not
Solution:
New classloader didn't like different versions of "servlet.jar" in
JAVA_HOMEjre/lib/ext and CATALINA_HOME/common/lib
Put the same servlet.jar (use the TC4.0.1 version) in both places, and
all works.

Problem:
TC 4.0.1 ran SSL easily on W2K, but same stuff would not run on Solaris
8
Solution:
Solaris 8 comes with Java SDK 1.2 as default.  Obtain and install SDK
1.3 and
everything works properly.
NOTE: be sure to put the JSSE jar files (3 of them) in the
JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext directory (this is one of the two suggested
installation choices).  I found that the variable JSSE_HOME did not
work.  The JSSE jars should NOT be placed anywhere in Tomcat.

Problem:
Two servers - one Apache only, one Tomcat only. (BTW, this is my
recommendation for anyone with significant "stuff" in both web and
servlets/jsp. Divides the load on a very smart boundary, and avoids all
those "why won't Apache forward stuff to Tomcat" type problems.) Could
not get https to properly find my Tomcat server.
Solution:
First, Apache is listening on port 80.  Good.  Make Tomcat listen to
port 443, as this is the standard SSL (https) port.  Avoids client
firewall problems as well (we did have a problem with one client's site
and port 8080 - their firewall blocked it).
Second, make SURE your hardware (routers) and O/S (servers) are all
working properly.  If they aren't, no amount of "Tomcat fiddling" will
solve the underlying problem.  In my case, the "defaultrouter" file in
Solaris was pointing to the wrong router for the current configuration.
Fixed defaultrouter, and HTTPS worked immediately.

Next email - my last (current) problem!

Cheers,

-Richard

RE: Alternate webapps dir not seen by apache

Posted by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com>.