Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> on 2008/08/29 00:33:47 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Incubating M3 (RC3)

There were a few SNAFUs with headers and LICENSE in the last release,
so I've rolled RC3 for and would like to restart the vote to release
Apache Qpid M3.

I started the vote on qpid-dev at 2008-08-22:
http://markmail.org/message/2a6pmx3sdgvh5bu5
And closed it on 2008-08-27 http://markmail.org/message/xb3qppr5krtdp43w

There were:
8 +1s (1 of which was binding)
0 0's
0 -1's

Which were cast by:
Alan Conway
Arnaud Simon
Martin Ritchie
Gordon Sim
Carl Trieloff
Yoav Shapira (binding)
Rajith Attapattu
Lahiru Gunathilake

Artifacts can be found at http://people.apache.org/~aidan/qpid/M3-RC3/
Release notes are located here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12312117&styleName=Html&projectId=12310520&Create=Create

Please vote to:
[+1] Release Apache Qpid M3
[0] que?
[-1] No, it was unloved as a child and has serious issues with social
adjustment manifesting themselves as...

- Aidan
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Incubating M3 (RC3)

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
2008/8/29 Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>:
> On Friday 29 August 2008 12:16:34 pm Martin Ritchie wrote:
>> 2008/8/29 Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>:
>> > The LICENSE/NOTICE files seem to use the older "auto generated from the
>> > older maven plugins" style which Legal decided was not correct.   They
>> > should be updated.
>> >
>> > Dan
>>
>> Hey Dan,
>>
>> Care to point us in the right direction here. I couldn't see any
>> NOTICE/LICENSE in the cxf repository.
>
> They are auto-generated.
>
> In anycase, the basic requirement is that:
> 1) The NOTICE file ONLY contains notices that are required by any artifacts in
> the distribution.   (qpid might not have any, although double check any
> dependency jars to see if they have a NOTICE with content that would need to
> be copied in)
>
> 2) The LICENSE file contains the Apache license text as well as either the
> license text for any other licenses for stuff in that  distribution or
> pointers to the LICENSE text for those artifacts.   (and denote which
> artifacts apply to which license)
>
> For example, the license text at the top of the amqp spec xml files would need
> to be copied to the bottom of the LICENSE file.
>
> Dan

Thanks Dan, my brain is spinning from all the apache-legal emails I've
been going through since I saw your mail.

I think our NOTICE files are more of the reference style that should
be in the LICENSE section.
Interesting that we can now just reference the License text as it was
my understanding when we released M2/M2.1 that the full license text
must be present in the LICENSE file.

The AMQP license is missing from those as there had been previous
discussions on apache-legal about including nor not including it that
I wasn't party too.

Will update the files and aim to put out an RC4 for review later today.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Martin

>> Cheers
>>
>> Martin

>> > --
>> > Daniel Kulp
>> > dkulp@apache.org
>> > http://www.dankulp.com/blog

> Daniel Kulp
> dkulp@apache.org
> http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Martin Ritchie

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Incubating M3 (RC3)

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Friday 29 August 2008 12:16:34 pm Martin Ritchie wrote:
> 2008/8/29 Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>:
> > The LICENSE/NOTICE files seem to use the older "auto generated from the
> > older maven plugins" style which Legal decided was not correct.   They
> > should be updated.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Hey Dan,
>
> Care to point us in the right direction here. I couldn't see any
> NOTICE/LICENSE in the cxf repository.

They are auto-generated.

In anycase, the basic requirement is that:
1) The NOTICE file ONLY contains notices that are required by any artifacts in
the distribution.   (qpid might not have any, although double check any
dependency jars to see if they have a NOTICE with content that would need to
be copied in)

2) The LICENSE file contains the Apache license text as well as either the
license text for any other licenses for stuff in that  distribution or
pointers to the LICENSE text for those artifacts.   (and denote which
artifacts apply to which license)

For example, the license text at the top of the amqp spec xml files would need
to be copied to the bottom of the LICENSE file.

Dan

> Cheers
>
> Martin

> >> While those are being fixed there's one more thing as well,
> >> qpid-incubating-M3-java.tar.gz  is missing the license text for the
> >> third party licenses it uses, eg BSD, MIT, MPL, EPL. The text of those
> >> licenses needs to be included somewhere probably in the top level
> >> LICENSE file.
> >>
> >>    ...ant
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Kulp
> > dkulp@apache.org
> > http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Incubating M3 (RC3)

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
2008/8/29 Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>:

> On Friday 29 August 2008 4:13:46 am ant elder wrote:
>> While those are being fixed there's one more thing as well,
>> qpid-incubating-M3-java.tar.gz  is missing the license text for the third
>> party licenses it uses, eg BSD, MIT, MPL, EPL. The text of those licenses
>> needs to be included somewhere probably in the top level LICENSE file.
>>

> Right....
>
> The LICENSE/NOTICE files seem to use the older "auto generated from the older
> maven plugins" style which Legal decided was not correct.   They should be
> updated.
>
> Dan

Hey Dan,

Care to point us in the right direction here. I couldn't see any
NOTICE/LICENSE in the cxf repository.

Cheers

Martin

> On Friday 29 August 2008 4:13:46 am ant elder wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:32 AM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks for checking these.

>> > public

>> > many

>> > Urrr. Looks like a commit failed and I didn't check when I tagged it
>> > again, gah.  I've added KEYS, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER, LICENSE to the top
>> > level but..

>> > intent

>> > release,

>> > people

>> > The top level notice will point to these.

>> > Can somebody else from qpid take care of these for me please? I'm
>> > going to be without internet access until Tuesday. I've attached the
>> > shell script I use to do all this, it should Just Work. (it does the
>> > tagging for you, so make sure you have $EDITOR or $VISUAL set so you
>> > can enter the commit message for the svn commands)
>> >
>> > - Aidan
>> >
>> > --
>> > Apache Qpid - World Domination through Advanced Message Queueing
>> > http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
>> > "Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore
>> > Roosevelt

>> While those are being fixed there's one more thing as well,
>> qpid-incubating-M3-java.tar.gz  is missing the license text for the third
>> party licenses it uses, eg BSD, MIT, MPL, EPL. The text of those licenses
>> needs to be included somewhere probably in the top level LICENSE file.
>>
>>    ...ant
>

> --
> Daniel Kulp
> dkulp@apache.org
> http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Martin Ritchie

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Incubating M3 (RC3)

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Incubating M3 (RC3)

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
Unless i've missed the commit in my sleep this morning i'll fix there
up directly.

Martin

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Incubating M3 (RC3)

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Aidan,

First, the good news:

The process is spot on. Summary of votes, location of artifacts to
vote on. The only thing I'd like to see in the process is the nominal
close date for this vote.

I found the release artifacts and downloaded one of them to take a
look: qpid-incubating-M3.tar.gz. The signature checks out, except your
key isn't signed by anyone. This can be fixed for later (you should
attend a key signing party).

Last, the not so good:

There should be a KEYS file high up in your directory structure. I
didn't look too hard for it elsewhere, but just downloaded your key
from the public keyserv. I later found a KEYS in the java directory,
but it's clearly misplaced here and doesn't appear to contain your key.

There is still no LICENSE file high in your distribution. If you go to
many of the project directories at the top level you don't find the
LICENSE either.

For example, qpid-incubating-M3/cpp/ has LICENSE and NOTICE. Great.

But qpid-incubating-M3/java has no LICENSE or NOTICE. Not ok. If your
intent is that the files in java/resources are supposed to cover the
entire java directory, they need to be popped up a level when you
package the release, because there's no indication that this is the
intent. We don't want people to guess where LICENSE and NOTICE files
apply.

The qpid-incubating-M3/gentools has no LICENSE or NOTICE.

The qpid-incubating-M3/specs have licenses and notices in the files
but again, you need LICENSE and NOTICE files popped up at least one
level.

The qpid-incubating-M3/cc has no LICENSE or NOTICE.

The qpid-incubating-M3/bin has no LICENSE or NOTICE.

The qpid-incubating-M3/review has no LICENSE or NOTICE.

The qpid-incubating-M3/buildtools has no LICENSE or NOTICE.

Craig

On Aug 28, 2008, at 3:33 PM, Aidan Skinner wrote:

> There were a few SNAFUs with headers and LICENSE in the last release,
> so I've rolled RC3 for and would like to restart the vote to release
> Apache Qpid M3.
>
> I started the vote on qpid-dev at 2008-08-22:
> http://markmail.org/message/2a6pmx3sdgvh5bu5
> And closed it on 2008-08-27 http://markmail.org/message/xb3qppr5krtdp43w
>
> There were:
> 8 +1s (1 of which was binding)
> 0 0's
> 0 -1's
>
> Which were cast by:
> Alan Conway
> Arnaud Simon
> Martin Ritchie
> Gordon Sim
> Carl Trieloff
> Yoav Shapira (binding)
> Rajith Attapattu
> Lahiru Gunathilake
>
> Artifacts can be found at http://people.apache.org/~aidan/qpid/M3-RC3/
> Release notes are located here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12312117&styleName=Html&projectId=12310520&Create=Create
>
> Please vote to:
> [+1] Release Apache Qpid M3
> [0] que?
> [-1] No, it was unloved as a child and has serious issues with social
> adjustment manifesting themselves as...
>
> - Aidan
> --
> Apache Qpid - World Domination through Advanced Message Queueing
> http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
> "Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore
> Roosevelt

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Incubating M3 (RC3)

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Aidan,