Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org> on 2008/08/20 14:44:48 UTC

Renaming Corona to Cocoon 3.0 and infrastructure [version 2]

After our recent discussions, here is my reworked proposal:

Versioning
-------------------------------
Cocoon 3 will follow the alpha/beta/rc release scheme (like Mozilla,
Maven, Apache Commons, etc.). The first release will be 3.0-alpha-1.

This will be a clear marker that is already visible when you add Cocoon
as a dependency to your build or download the artifacts manually.

Additionally all release artifacts will contain a warning message and an
explanation what "alpha" means.

SVN
-------------------------------
In order to make the life easier for people who use git-svn, I propose
to use the standard SVN directory structure:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/cocoon3/tags

Maven
-------------------------------
We use functional names for all artifacts:

org.apache.cocoon.pipeline:cocoon-pipeline:3.0.0
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap:cocoon-sitemap:3.0.0
org.apache.cocoon.servlet:cocoon-servlet:3.0.0
org.apache.cocoon.controller:cocoon-controller:3.0.0
org.apache.cocoon.rest:cocoon-rest:3.0.0
org.apache.cocoon.stringtemplate:cocoon-stringtemplate:3.0.0

By using the functional name as part of the groupId, Cocoon 2.2 and
Cocoon 3 can be used together without getting any problems with the
dependency resolution mechanisms of Maven or Ivy.

JAVA NAMESPACES
-------------------------------
Coocon 3 will use the "org.apache.cocoon" namespace. The sub-packages
are reserved for functional names:

 org.apache.cocoon.pipeline
 org.apache.cocoon.sitemap
 org.apache.cocoon.servlet
 org.apache.cocoon.controller
 org.apache.cocoon.rest
 org.apache.cocoon.stringtemplate

XML NAMESPACES
-------------------------------
Corona currently uses three different namespaces in XML documents:

 http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/sitemap
 http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/servlet
 http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/controller

These namespaces are without a version number.

Since I don't see how version numbers could help, I propose

 http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap
 http://apache.org/cocoon/servlet
 http://apache.org/cocoon/controller

JIRA
-------------------------------
I propose the creation of a COCOON3 project so that Cocoon 2.x and
Cocoon 3 issues don't get mixed up.

CI
-------------------------------
Apache Infrastructure offers a managed Hudson instance. I propose to
setup a Cocoon 3 project there.

                                  - o -

Any further comments? If there aren't any objections, I will start with
the renaming process next week.

Or do I need a vote before? If so I will start the voting process asap.
Any opinions?

Re: Renaming Corona to Cocoon 3.0 and infrastructure [version 2]

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> After our recent discussions, here is my reworked proposal:

<snip>Good looking proposal</snip>

> Or do I need a vote before? If so I will start the voting process asap.
> Any opinions?

I think you should run a vote, if only for completeness.  I don't see
anything controversial (other than the already discussed 3.0 issue) so
I'd imagine it should be straight forward enough.

--
Peter Hunsberger