Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2016/12/19 19:38:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] Merging FLIP-6 feature branch

Hi all!

With having reached the feature freeze points, the 1.2 release branch
should be forked any moment off now.

I would like to merge the FLIP-6 feature branch after the release branch
has been forked off
If anyone has reservations, please let me know.

Summary about the feature branch

  - Fully builds, no new test problems / instabilities

  - Many new classes for RPC, JobManager, TaskManager, ResourceManager, and
YARN.

  - All new components sit next to the original components. The current
code paths (as of 1.2) are not using any of the new components, so the
current functionality should not be affected at all

  - The reason why we like to merge the feature branch is that it becomes
very cumbersome and inefficient to constantly chase the master branch.

  - Test coverage needs to be increased still before we can switch the
current JobManager and TaskManager implementations to the ones in the
feature branch.

Stephan