Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by david sims <da...@simscomputing.com> on 2000/04/09 06:44:26 UTC

Tomcat, multiple IP addresses, and virtual domains

hi,

Is it possible to configure Tomcat to serve up one set of web pages if
HTTP requests come in to IP address X, and another set of web pages if HTTP
requests come into IP address Y?

What I'm getting at is having a Linux box with multiple IP addresses. I'd like
to configure Tomcat to serve up web pages and servlets for multiple web sites
on the same machine.

I was looking in org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.java for
some answers, but it's still unclear to me. Hence my post.

If it's currently not possible, I'd be interested in submitting a patch that
does this, as long as someone can guide me a bit on the whole Tomcat
architecture.

And for that matter, I'd be interested in submitting a patch for virtual domain
support. I know the FAQ says "use Apache for virtual domains", but I'm a bit of
a Java bigot. I'd prefer to run Tomcat for everything and not use Apache at all
as a web server.

thanks,
david

--
David Sims               david@simscomputing.com
Sims Computing, Inc.       www.simscomputing.com

Re: Tomcat, multiple IP addresses, and virtual domains

Posted by ma...@mjwilcox.com.
I'd be suspect of this. Even if it's tomcat stand alone it's probably a
really hacked up version of Tomcat (which is ok because that's why
you got opensource).

I just don't think Tomcat is quite there yet to run stand-alone in
production. Some might even suggest that we have a ways to go to
use it as a servlet engine (e.g. stick with JServ for at least a little
while longer).

There's a lot of things Tomcat doesn't yet support (for example I've
been hacking on the Security interceptor issue all weekend & still
without much headway). Or as you've mentioned virtual hosts or
SSL or have much in the way of documentation (I mean
opensource is not a stellar example of documentation but Tomcat
has less than most). Because Tomcat must also support a lot of
the J2EE reference implementation (at least that was the last word
I heard at ApacheCon), so in the end it might not be the best
embedded Web server.

And if you're doing mostly file-IO stuff, Tomcat is probably not
going to be the best option (Java IO still blows). Apache is probably
a better fit.

Tomcat as a stand-alone makes since for certain embedded
applications or for a case where you have a Java application that
could benefit from its own Webserver.

I think Tomcat brings a lot to the table. But so does Apache and its
myriad of modules.

Being a language bigot in the end is very short-sighted. I'm
extremely fond of Perl, but I hack around with Java because it
provides some things that Perl doesn't.

Mark

Posted by david sims <da...@simscomputing.com>.

Posted by david sims <da...@simscomputing.com>.
On Sun, 09 Apr 2000, Jeff Neuenschwander wrote:
> Can you use tomcat as a standalone webserver for enterprise-level
> applications?  I didn't know the standalone webserver could handle that kind
> of load.  I thought you had to link apache with it...

well, I've got a low volume public web site up now running Tomcat only.
Tomcat's doing a nice job of serving up JSPs, servlets, and static HTML pages
for me. (and the servlets talk to an Enterprise JavaBeans server, but that's
a different story. :-)

It's working so well, in fact, that I don't want to bother with Apache.
Tomcat's doing the job for me. I intend to keep using it as long as I can. And
should I notice some scalability problems with Tomcat later on, I'd much rather
contribute designs and code to the Tomcat project instead of Apache. I want to
help support for Java in the enterprise.

but, to answer your question, I don't know how far Tomcat can scale.

cheers,
david

Posted by Jeff Neuenschwander <je...@collegeguy.com>.
Can you use tomcat as a standalone webserver for enterprise-level
applications?  I didn't know the standalone webserver could handle that kind
of load.  I thought you had to link apache with it...

Jeff