Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Robert McIntosh <ro...@zurichna.com> on 2004/06/18 22:15:39 UTC

[OT] looking for project interest

Please excuse the off topic of this, but I am looking for community
interest in a new persistence engine. I've floated the idea to the
incubator list and it was suggested that getting some more ASF community
interest would be a benefit before being accepted for incubation.

The project is called Chameleon and it is a general persistence engine. It
can do O/R mapping, but that is only part of its capabilities. More
details can be found at:

http://www.bull-enterprises.com/aom/persistence/index.html

which has some rational, why and how it is different than the typical O/R
tool, some samples, etc. The docs there are a work in progress, so they
may not be complete in some areas.
The current state of the project is that it is being used in one
production application, and has gone a bit of a refactor after that app
went in to production. The basics are in place with basic O/R
capabilities. It still needs the XML, remote servers, web services, and
bunch of other stuff done (there is a roadmap on the site listed).

As stated on the site, the goal is not to become another O/R tool, but to
expand persistence capabilities beyond persisting business objects to
relational databases.

There are currently two other developers who have expressed interest in
contibuting once it is accepted (assuming it gets accepted that is :-)

I'll be happy to answer any questions of course...

Thank,
Robert McIntosh

This message, along with any attachments, may be confidential or legally
privileged.  It is intended only for the named person(s), who is/are the
only authorized recipients. If this message has reached you in error,
please notify the sender immediately and promptly destroy it without
review. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Thank you for your help.