Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/29 12:41:15 UTC

[DISCUSS] Prepare Release 1.5?

Hi Guys,

There have been some questions pop up around when a new 1.5 release will be available.

I have some free cycles over the next couple of weeks to prepare one and I believe Chris has some too, so in preparation for that what do we need to do to make the current trunk releasable as version 1.5?

For me the following issue need to be fixed before release:
TIKA-1198 - the change to using multi-parts appears to have broken our current guidance on usage significantly.

Is there anything else others think is a must before rolling a release?

I was also thinking we could do some quick work to include the following issues:
TIKA-1059
TIKA-985, TIKA-980

I don’t want to hold things up, so if we sort peoples mandatories I think we should roll a release.

@Chris - I know you had free cycles and volunteered so will defer to you on the release management side of things.  That said happy to take it on if that helps.

Cheers,
Dave

Re: [DISCUSS] Prepare Release 1.5?

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi
On 25/01/14 11:50, David Meikle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 14 Jan 2014, at 22:46, Stefano Fornari <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Currently, tika 1.4 has some serious bug that makes it hang with partial
>> mp3, so it can be quite bad in production. tika 1.5 fixes it, but I do
>> understand TIKA-1198is a bad regression, therefore it is blocker for me
>> too. I am not familiar with WS so I do not know how much work would be to
>> fix it. however, I am wondering if no one commit to fix it, is roll back an
>> option? we may roll back the CXf fix and then be ready to release.
I should clarify that TIKA-1198 offers a better support for managing big
files specifically uploaded as a multi-part payload. The enhancement has
caused the side-effects for only those existing clients which completely
ignore setting Content-Type: unfortunately the documented 'curl -T' is
one of those clients. Adding -H "Content-Type: type/xml", etc, easily
resolves the issue.
But the already written scripts already exist and we agreed with Dave it
would need to addressed

> Sergey has had a look and has setup a unique path for this whilst exploring an upstream fix.

Unfortunately the perfect solution, where all types of payloads are
supported on the same path is indeed temporarily not possible at the
JAX-RS level, specifically in cases of the client requests with no
provided Content-Types. The fix is straight-forward but I'd prefer to
have it 'supported' at the specification text level. In meantime having
a dedicated form handler is not bad option too.

> This clears the blockers for a release from me, so unless I hear anyone else highlight something I will roll a release candidate for voting.

Sounds good

Thanks, Sergey

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Allison, Timothy B. <ta...@mitre.org> wrote:
> Should we wait for POI 3.10?  That should be out within the next few weeks.

No, we can cut Tika 1.6 then.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [DISCUSS] Prepare Release 1.5?

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
On 29/01/14 18:00, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've updated CHANGES.txt but I can't assign to myself and in case of
>> TIKA-1196 I can't even resolve it
>
> I assigned you the PMC member role in the TIKA project on jira, which
> should give you full access to the issues.

Yes, that made a difference

Thanks, Sergey

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Can someone resolve
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1196

please ?

--
Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders
http://coders.talend.com/

Blog: http://sberyozkin.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Prepare Release 1.5?

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Fix to TIKA-1226 committed.

Should we wait for POI 3.10?  That should be out within the next few weeks.

If not already rolled, I'd like to get TIKA-1226 in before 1.5.  I'll commit within two hours.

On another note, I'd encourage committers to update the CHANGES.txt file before release of 1.5.   Thank you!

Cheers,

      Tim

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stefano Fornari <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,
I am fairly new to the community, but I'll provide my feedback anyway :)
Currently, tika 1.4 has some serious bug that makes it hang with partial
mp3, so it can be quite bad in production. tika 1.5 fixes it, but I do
understand TIKA-1198is a bad regression, therefore it is blocker for me
too. I am not familiar with WS so I do not know how much work would be to
fix it. however, I am wondering if no one commit to fix it, is roll back an
option? we may roll back the CXf fix and then be ready to release.

Thoughts?

Ste

Posted by David Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,